Bench Finish?

I picked up a small folding wooden bench a few years back at a local antique flea market. It was made new, not old wood. It has been ideal to put outside on the covered patio and put away in the winter.

I don't remember what the finish was on it and the maker is no longer at the market. I believe it is made of cedar. (When it dries, I will snap a photo.) It's a 1.5 a** bench.

I thought cedar oil was used originally but the stuff still selling at the market is resotration oil. So I am trying to decide what to use on it now. It will be used in-house but occasionally go outside if an extra seat is required.

What finish would you recommend? Since it was originally oiled with something, I would like to stick with that theme and keep the natrual look of the wood. I would like it not soak into clothes or pose toxic problems inside for kids or animals.

All thoughts welcome and appreciated... `Casper

Reply to
Casper

WaterLox Original. Won't take much to cover your bench, so I hope you can find a smaller size container, than a gallon. Otherwise, wipe it down with tung oil, yearly.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I made a series of four benches for a memorial garden, using Borg-type redwood. I concocted a finish not unlike the Maloof chair finish: equal parts of BLO, tung oil, floor poly, and mineral spirits. Winter is spent inside which is about 4 months. Otherwise they are exposed to the elements, albeit in a shaded area. It has been 5 years and I am told that they should have the finish reapplied. So far so good.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Penofin brand oil. Not sure about toxicity but it is what all the pros use for exterior oiled anything.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Finally got this folding bench cleaned and sanded. I picked up some tung oil but haven't put it on yet. Since this bench is going to remain indoors now, I am hesitant on finish. Wish I knew what was originally used on it.

Anything to be wary of since I don't know the original finish? I suspect it was oil of some type.

It's not a spectacular bench but it is strong, steady and useful. Figure it will last a long time once I get it completed.

Reply to
Casper

olding bench cleaned and sanded. I picked up some tung oil but haven't put it on yet. Since this bench is going to remain indoors now, I am hesitant o n finish. Wish I knew what was originally used on it. Anything to be wary o f since I don't know the original finish? I suspect it was oil of some type . It's not a spectacular bench but it is strong, steady and useful. Figure it will last a long time once I get it completed.

I doubt you can go wrong with your tung oil, "tung oil" ~~~> even if the pr oduct is a blend of ingredients. Later, if you want something different, s imply lightly sand and apply whatever else. Spar urethane discolors to a yellowish hue, over time, so that might not be a best alternative choice.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny