Bay Area woodworkers: been to The Sawdust Shop in Sunnyvale?

Just found out about this store in Sunnyvale. It's been open about 3 months. Supposedly it's similar to a Woodcraft store.

To anyone that has been in the store, what did you think of it? How does it's stock compare with Woodcraft?

Dave

Reply to
David

I haven't been out there yet but it sounds like a cool concept. A previous poster said it had less inventory than a Woodcraft, at least at the time. However, I think the main focus of this shop is the "Shop" aspect. They have a shop that rents time and space out for users to build schtuff. It's setup with sort of a membership deal.

They have a website that lists all the pricing and equipment

hope to remember to drop in when I am in the south bay this weekend.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Stopped by once. The stock is a bit lite. It's basically the Henry Taylor stuff, IIRC, same stuff you can order via catalog from CB Tool and that Southern used to carry (haven't been there recently to see if they still do).

Prices seemed similar to woodcraft. The have a nice selection of router bits, and a small collection of lumber stocks.

The nice thing is the shop space one can rent, albeit fairly pricey.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks, Scott for the info. Since I'm 15 miles from their store I need a fair amount of incentive to burn some gas and time for the trip. I don't mind driving 523 miles to Vegas for vacation, but stores aren't as high up my list, even a woodworking store unless it's got something I can't get closer to home, or much cheaper. I got a coupon good for 10% off purchases over $25, but the very TINY print says, "Not applicable on power tools". Yikes! What a come-on/turn off.

Dave

Reply to
David

Please update us after you drop in?

Dave

Reply to
David

SFWIW, the outfit in West By God that Charlie Self was associated with for a while had a similar operation in Orange County, here in SoCal.

They folded up shop after about a year or so.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sorta ironic how in this day and age of rapid communications and the ability to cover long distances rapidly we often do both less.

Reply to
Swingman

15 miles of driving to Sunnyvale is equivalent in time to driving much further in other parts of the world. :)

Also $3/gal to fuel my truck doesn't provide incentive to make unnecessary trips around the valley.

Dave

Reply to
David

Reply to
jaimesummer

Know the feeling ... 30 mile round trip to find ZAR's stain a couple of weeks back put the cost for same at an extra $9.00 for 2 quarts, due to the gas in my truck.

And as far as communications go ... tried to contact your congress critter lately? You would be lucky to get mail through because of the anthrax scare, they are so inundated with e-mail that it never gets read, and you certainly can't call them and talk to them on the phone.

Reply to
Swingman

I've been there, a few months after they opened. As noted by another respondent, they were mainly focused on getting the shop space set up - and it's a pretty nice set up, with two Saw Stops and all the stationary machines except a W&H molder. The rental storage spaces are chain linked in small, medium and large sizes. Handy to not have to lug your stuff back and forth between work sessions. The work benches are the weak spot - basically thick maple table top over rental storage cabinets, a small face vice on diagonal corners. I think they also include use of hand tools in the shop rental thing.

As for the retail space - they were still stocking it and had about half of what you'd find in a typical WoodCraft or Rockler store. But there was still a fair amount of floor space to fill in. I was looking for a lathe chuck. They didn't have any in stock but could order whatever I wanted. They did have a pretty good selection of turning chisels and gouges, along with carving tools including FlexCut, and they did have Two Cherries bench chisels

I picked up a couple of adjustable sharpening stone holders with the sticky rubber feet, and a face shield so the side trip back from WoodCraft in San Carlos was worth it. Will check back periodically and perhaps save some gasoline, to say nothing of supporting a local woodworker. That's also important - unless you like Borgs.

charlie b

who uses the Miata for recon and the extended Aerostar van for pick up when necessary. Cuts down on large impulse purchases quite a bit. Saves money both ways.

Reply to
charlie b