Bandsaw Guides

Hi, All,

Just got some Olson Cool Blocks for my Griz 14 inch bandsaw, and it became clear I don't have the "thingy" that these blocks go into. Neither Rockler or Olson web sites show them. Am I missing something that the book by Duginski will make clear? (Just ordered the book from Amazon)

Well, any help will be appreciated. Now out to the garage to make some more sawdust.

Rich.....

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

Cool blocks come in a variety of shapes/sizes. If you bought the proper cool blocks they should be an exact replacement for the guides that came on the saw.

Reply to
Nova

I will presume you have new, grizzly 14 inch for woodworking (as opposed to metal cutting) bandsaw.

Just above the saw's table is your guide block head. I think yours uses metal bearings on each side of the blade.

go the the Grizzly web site, and look at the parts list for their most inexpensive bandsaw. It seems to use guide blocks instead of the sealed ball bearing set. Your grizzly cool block kit, is for that saw, not so much for your saw.

IMHO, Someday the outer sleeve (rim?) of the bearings will be same material as the cool blocks. Think of it this way, if there is any miss- alignment, and when you start to cut wood, what will get damaged: the bearings or the teeth of the blade?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

Ahhhhh, the light bulb brightens. I have the G0555, and it has two metal sealed bearings to keep the blade in line. They seem to work pretty good so far. Not too impressed with the blade that came with it, but will put on the Olsen blade tomorrow, and try some resawing. Rewired it for 220VAC, and am pleased with the saw so far. Thanks for the help. Rich.....

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

{snip}

I am pretty sure you know this already:

Bandsaw re-sawing will not leave a nice clean smooth surfaces ready for the finishing brush. Also when re-sawing, each blade has a drift angle, some smaller than others, and you will need to find that drift angle and swing the stock left or right to compensate. This will minimize the rough surface of the re-sawed wood.

Reply to
Phil Again