bandsaw advise

I am looking for advise on how to cut a 1/4" radius in a 6" piece of wood. I am aking a jewelry box and it calls fo a couple of scroll type curves wiusing a 1/8" blade. I have been trying for two weeks and I cannot get the saw adjusted properly and the blade keeps moving off of center and free of the guides. I have made the cut in a 3/4" piece andit works just fine. I don't know how to get around the thin blase cutting though the thickness of the wood. any suggestion would be very much appreciated. Robert

Reply to
rjb

Scroll Saw? Excuse to buy a new tool.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Misread your post!? 6" thick wood for a jewelry box? 1/4" radius cut (hole)? You may need a scroll saw, not a band saw. Otherwise....

Drill bit, for that particular area.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Small bow saw/turning saw? Depending on the size of slab you're starting with (12x12x6?), coping saw might not reach. Making a turning saw is a pretty quick project.

Ed

Reply to
StL.Ed

Make some wooden guide blocks. Maple is good but any hardwood will do. Before adjusting the gap move the blocks forward so the blade will be trapped entirely within the guide blocks. Set one side block so it just touches the blade plus a smidge. Now with the saw running adjust the other side block so it is snug, but not binding, on the blade. The set of the teeth will have carved out a channel for their clearance. Repeat for the bottom blocks. Wax the blade by touching a candle to it while it is running. Now make your cut using very little pressure and go sloooooooow. There is not much room between those teeth for sawdust and you need to let it clear out. 6" is really thick for that tpi count. You may need to increase the blade tension a bit too. Good luck. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks to all for our comments and advice. I was able to get it done by using wooden guide blocks surrounding the thin 1/8" blade. Special thanks to Art.

Robert

Reply to
rjb

Your description was not so detailed as to fully understand just what you are trying to cut.......but if this is an outside radius on the corner of a block why not instead cut it square and then come back with a quarter inch rounding off bit in a router on a router table.

Reply to
Michael Karas

Your welcome. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. Art

Reply to
Artemus