Bandsaw and resawing

Thanks to all Donna i dont think I will be cutting logs on a regular bases and think

14" should be fine, otherwise agree that bigger would be better. Some resawing logs,some veneer cutting, some bowl blanks, some bandsaw boxes, some cabriole legs and general furniture stuff. Larrry the LOG Jig you gave a link for looks great and I will build one thankyou.
Reply to
henry

I've read this thread with interest and got a few chuckles out of it.

A few weeks ago I asked a similar question with the proviso that cost was not a barrier, just was the good stuff worth it. Leon, among others, essentially said if you can afford it, go for it (Laguna, that is).

The purchase conversations were a hoot! I hit the end of one sale and overlapped the beginning of the next. The salesman and I were looking at different info and prices - convoluted at best. That being said, the LT 16 HD hit my garage about 3 weeks ago. A buddy helped hold pieces while I put the thing together. Their video actually shows how to do it, and it goes together the way the video says! Amazing! 1.5 hours from off the truck to sawdust flying.

As Leon will say, out of the box it just hums and cuts like billy be damned. I hadn't used a bandsaw since high school shop class (remember those?) and had never adjusted anyhting on one. Between the Laguna video and the Band Saw Book (it's good) I had no issues.

So, if you're lazy, uneducated, impatient, rich or any combination of the above, the Laguna is, IMHO, worth it. The dis-value of hassles is yours to determine. My tolerance for such is low.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

"Tom B" wrote

Good on ya Tom. It boils down to what works for you. You asked for imput and used it to make a decision. Just be advised that some folks find that a little suspicious.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Laguna will send you a couple of DVDs about their saws if you just request them. They are boring as heck, but show how and why the saws are so good. Its like the Forest WW blades- and the Timberwolf blades- and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Reply to
Donna

THEY ARE NOT! I have rewatched mine several times for the actor's talent value. ;~) Actually this DVD pretty much covered every thing that I was disapointed in with my previous band saw purchase. Fortunately, buying sight unseen and with Woodcraft's generous return policy I was told to bring the saw back for a refund if I was not happy with it. I did.

Actually, MiniMax has a demo DVD also although I think the Laguna is better for educational value.

IIRC the Laguna Band Saw DVD also has a very very very good demo of their Knapp combination machine. Boy o boy if only money and space were not a factor.... LOL

Reply to
Leon

Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the gold standard.

Reply to
Tom B

The advice was vetted by other input, but yeah, it is a bit scary. I've already said I'm a lazy sot - let others do the research, double check their findings with other sources, then take advantage of them. Works for me in business and hobbies. That's why I shoot Colts or Wilsons in pistols, Sauers or Sakos or Kimbers in rifles and Krieghofs or Berrettas in shotguns. They're best of breed, never lose their value, and just flat work. Sort of like a Disston #10.

:~

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

I don't know how they compare but 3M had the Gold in the 80's. Having worked for an automotive 3M distributor I got all of my PSA sanding disks for free. I have yet to find a brand that has a decent adhesive other than

3M. I have never tried Norton or Mirka but having recently run out of my vast supply of 3M I did try Klingspor and it was terrible to remove until it sat up and got old. LOL I never could understand why most everyone objected to PSA paper until I tried Klingspor.
Reply to
Leon

But an Atkins "Silver Steel" saw outperforms a Disston any day - and doesn't rust!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Wishing I could find a 1/2 decent one. Working on it.

Reply to
Tom B

Tom- I've never heard of the Mirka Gold. If I run across them I'll give them a try. I've used Norton papers for 30 years or more and they outperform anything else I've ever tried. Of course, I like their pretty colors too- being female and all. . .lol. Donna

Reply to
Donna

Mirka is Amazon's primary paper...will agree it is good. Personally, I still think Klingspor is a "best buy"...

Reply to
dpb

Mirka, Norton, and 3M were the big 3, 20 plus years ago in the automotive fields.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, I was just pointing out that Amazon now is a large distributor of the Mirka product line for woodworking...

--

Reply to
dpb

Sorry, I did not mean that to come out as derogatory to your comment as rather to point out to Donna that those three and the Mirka Gold have been around for quite some time.

Reply to
Leon

Donna:

A search on Amazon.com for Mirka (sorry about the misspelling in my earlier) will give you a bunch of results. I've used it with success. It seems to load up less than Norton on some woods (Cherry, Ipe) and the backing is, IMO, a bit stronger. In any case, even with shipping, it's a bit cheaper than Norton at the Borgs.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom B