buying wood (cherry)

Hello all, This uneducated fella needs some advice.

I am going to make a jewelry box for my daughter and it is mostly 1/2" thick. Where I live the temperature difference, in my shop, night to day is about 15 degrees. I can't keep it heated 24/7. There is a local supplier of all types of wood so the temperature and moisture content of the wood will be close to the same. I plan to resaw and plane to the desired dimension's so would you buy 4/4, 5/4, 6/4.etc: (x 6"). I am trying to keep it from cupping or bowing or any of the other bad things that happen.

All suggestions and experience appreciated!

thanks, jaq

Reply to
jaq

The temp difference in you shop should not make that much of a difference.

That said, resawing and opening up inner sections of wood tend to have a more dramatic effect if the wood does not have the same inner moisture content as the outer sides. I suggest buying at least 5/4 to end up with 2

1/2" thick pieces maybe 6/4 if you are less efficient.

Resaw the pieces and let them set for a few days to acclimate. Then plane "BOTH" sides equally to almost final thickness, set a few days to acclimate and then a final thickness surfacing from both sides.

With any wood it is best to plane both sides equally so that the moisture content remains consistent on each side.

Reply to
Leon