Bandsaw Accessory _ Quick Crank

Your bandsaw left the factory incomplete! I know you should take the tension off the blade after each use, but frankly, it is a PITA to do it. About half the time I did not bother. That knob on the top works, but it is annoying to take off five full turns or so, or to put them back on.

I saw the Quick Crank in a blurb in American Woodworker a few months back (December 2001) and finally placed an order. It is available at a few places, but the best price I got was

There is was $25 plus $6 shipping. Others were $29 plus shipping. I have not seen it in stores but it may be.

I put it on tonight. The blurb on the web page says 15 minutes. It can be done in 10 if you don't drop the washer taking the old rod out. Not that I would be so clumsy, but I just want to be sure others are aware and are careful so it does not happen to them. You sure can waste a lot of time looking for it, or so I've heard.

Anyhow, it is a slick little addition to the saw and I'm going to be able to take the tension off easily from now on. They really should be putting this on at the factory but it would add to the final cost. It is not a necessity, but sure is nice to have. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Gerald Ross