Article on restoring the Charles W. Morgan to seaworthiness

They're working on restoring the 170 year old whaling ship. I'll have to see about taking a trip to check it out. I haven't been to Mystic Seaport since I was 8 years old or so.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:c70b79f1-8128-425e-9c37- snipped-for-privacy@a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

It's on th Times' Facebook page too

Reply to
Han

Thanks for posting most interesting article on the Morgan. As a youth, too many years ago, I visited the Mystic Seaport Museum. Strangely enough the menmory which remains in my mind to this day is the size of the box like bunks. I surmised at the time of my visit that the sailors had to rather short in stature. But needless to say the NYT Science article is worth the read.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Yep. I remember the sleeping hammocks and the headroom being ridiculously low - even by a child's standards. I wonder if they offer a tour that highlights the restoration work. I'd seriously love

- big sloppy kiss love - to get up close and inspect the work, both old and new. I gotta make some calls...

RicodJour

Yes, The Morgan is open for tours and viewing during the restoration. We sail to Mystic often, and sometimes dock our boat right at the museum. At night, after the crowds are gone, I wander around taking photographs. They have some of my photos on display from time to time. The Morgan, when built was expected to have a useful working life of about 20 years. Just the fact that it was used commercially for 80 years is astounding.

If you want a real thrill, there is a restored movie from 1922 that used the Morgan as a main part of the movie. That's right... They even have footage under sail, and landing a whale! You can't have any idea of what whaling was like without seeing this movie. Those guys were suicidal! This movie was restored, not because of the Morgan being in it, but because it was the very first appearnce in a movie by 15 year old, and completely unknown Clara Bow in a small part.

"Down to the Sea in Ships"

Netflix has it. It's 2 Movies on one DVD. The other movie was Clara Bows first "starring role" - "Parisian Love"

Reply to
salty