aquarium stand

looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Reply to
Rich

There's an interactive planner here:

under DIY pages.

Reply to
Bill Stock

AAvK

Good for you.

Gee Rich, that almost looks like a declarative sentence, but of course it's not even a whole sentence.

Did you have a question?

Reply to
C&S

As usual, it starts out with 2x4s. At least for a 38x24. The Russian school of engineering :-).

C'mon folks. Take any cabinet you've built lately and stand on it. If it's big enough have someone stand on it with you. If you've built it properly of 4/4 hardwood with a couple of cross members, it'll hold a lot of weight. If you haven't - oops - don't stand on it :-).

You have to wonder if the owner of that website has ever seen how flimsy the stands are that you can buy in a pet shop. I wouldn't have one, but they must hold up the weight.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've been lurking around this newsgroup for the past year or so and I finally have to say something about the majority of the responders to posts. Its a wonder anyone posts here, with all the sarcasm that is thrown around every time someone asks for help. I wonder how many of you would talk to a perfect stranger face to face in a similar manner. Another Rich.

Reply to
Rich

Sarcasm aside, what kind of style are you looking for? I saw one of the plans for a 55 gal stand in the Yahoo! search link that looked like nothing but 2x4's. I'm assuming you'd like something a little less "industrial" looking? Do you want cabinet doors hiding some shelves or a more open look like a table?

Reply to
Josh

I think the link to is way cool and very nicely done.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

(Another) Rich,

I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs. I feel I have something to offer on the topic. But I'm not personally inclined to take the time to offer commentary to someone who appears to be asking other people do grunt work for him.

People who ask well thought out questions generally get the best answers. There are good people here that take the time to give quality answers. IME, people generally only get stomped on for saying something stupid (not to be confused with ignorant).

Yes, I was sarcastic, but specifically because the OP broke that (your) same rule. I don't see the original post as any differnt than walking into a diner and and the first words to the waitress as "want big sandwich".

I get on my eight-year-old's case for saying "I'm hungry". At least that is a *complete* declarative sentence. And yes I am sarcastic to her to and say things like "Gee sweetie, that's too bad ....... wereyou tying to ask for something? I did not hear a question". She is a very bright, articulate girl who is very capapble of asking properly and usualy does.

If I must, I'll give useful advise to the OP: " Do a Google seach". The expertise in the group is far more suited to help design an aquruim stand and to locate a plan for anything (JT notwithstanding :-))

Regards,

Steve

Rich,

I have made 3 aquarum stands, all from oak, but each very different designs. I feel I have something to offer on the topic.

However, people who ask well thought out questions generally get the best answers.

Reply to
C&S

I don't have plans but you can see a few pics of one I built for a

70gal. tank. No 2x4's here just solid hardwood. I'll leave the stand pics up for a couple weeks...

Ya'll can see the new shop too. It almost finished.

Bubba Wood

Larry - very nice, everything. I have a couple of questions...

1) Where's all the clutter?

2) What did you use for stain and finish on the aquarium stand?

3) What type of joinery did you use on the stand? It's hard to tell from the limited pictures, but the sides look to be well joined to the face styles so as to give a monolithic look. How about the joinery of the carcass to the base itself?

4) Post more pictures if you have them. I for one, really enjoy watching a nice project unfold through the various stages.

Again - very nice. Now get that place cluttered up a bit.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Damn nice aquarium stand and damn nice shop, too! I noticed the trusses should allow some upstairs storage. Do you have a way to get up there?

Reply to
Josh

Steve, Agreed, his question (statement, fragment) wasn't well thought out and he could/should have articulated himself better. I still don't see a need to flamespray someone.

Also, I wasn't lawn-darting you specifically, it is just a trend in this NG as well as many others. I think the anonymity of NG's tends to lend them to "less than face to face civility". My observation FWIW. I try to post as if I were talking to my mother, She knew nothing about my hobbies and I gave her the utmost respect. It works for me most of the time.

As an instructor, I live by the axiom that there is never a stupid question just a poorly asked one. I guess its how you look at it. I prefer to see the glass half full not half empty..

Sorry about my rant, I'll get off my soapbox and go back to my corner now. And Steve thanks for the good advice I have seen you post in the past. Rich Harris

Reply to
Rich

I'll have to agree to disagree on that.

To quote my boss: "How big is a piece of string?". Useful in a rhetorical sense, but otherwise pretty stupid.

It was stupid of me to call it a stupid question.

I should have said that I was offended by the question because it was lazy on two levels.

Cheers

- Steve

Reply to
C&S

Reply to
Rich

Think about the future. When they are 20 years old and "tell" you they are broke, will you give them money or kick them out to find a job? Nit picking, but there is a difference in life's communications when you make a statement or ask a question. I listen, but do not always react, to a statement. But I respond to a question.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Very nice. Much better than mine. Of course, even mine are better than the pet store junk :-).

BTW, where did you get the beech and what did it cost?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That's much better.

Here's a start. See what appeals to you in terms of style and function.

(go to Google.com click on images, then type in "aquarium stand")

There are four ways to go about the engineering of a stand (that I can think of).

  1. Basically a table (open bottom)
  2. 2x4 skeleton with plywood skins
  3. Structural plywood box (like a kitchen cabinet)
  4. Traditional solid wood frame and panel construction.

But that is all putting the cart before the horse. Use the Google images to get an idea of what you want and let that, in conjunction with your skill set and tool portfolio, be your guide.

Start with "what" and work towards "how".

Refine your idea of what, and share with us your vision. Let us know a bit about your skills and tools and we can likely make some very specific recommendations.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
C&S

Really nice shop. I retire from the Navy in 18 months....I have plans in hand just waiting for retirement day. Excellent job on the stand too. Nothing like fine furniture to display your fish from.

Reply to
Rich

Thanks Mike,

The shop is too new for clutter... Just got the final on it Jan 5 and I'm still getting all the work spaces done. Outfeed table and assembly table are next after the long work bench/CMS RAS table is done.

The finish on the stand is a mystery. My neighbor is a wood finisher and he took it away in the white state and brought it back like you see it. It took him 6 weeks but he had to do it twice. Something about MEK in a mis-labeled can and spraying it on as the "final" top coat of lacquer.

I know he used a combination of dyes, multiple coats of lacquer and what else I do not know. But is is beautiful.

Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of picturers of the build. I was working in a cramped garage with little space, and less time. At least with the new shop space is no longer an issue.

The joinery is mostly bisquit and the wood is all planed down to about

1 1/16 as memory serves. The top and bottom are also bisquits on the end panels and the center supports are M/T joints to the carcass.

Larry

Reply to
Bubba Wood