Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:47:52 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Bloodletting was sufficient for quite some time also.
When I get home tonight I'll stick my broom into the hole in the back of my router table fence and see if I am just as efficient as with my vac.
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:59:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

You see, that's your problem. You designed the router table with just a little hole in the back. If you'd kept the bottom of the table open, the shavings would just fall to the floor where your broom could "easily" sweep them up. ...maybe after they get knee deep. Silly you! ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

Better yet, position a bucket under where the shavings will fall.
Easiest way to keep your shop clean is to work in someone else's. :-)
Puckdropper

Good point. The tools are cheaper, too.

In my dictionary "sufficient" and "efficient" are two different words.
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 9:37:55 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Then what was your point in responding in the way you did? I said a vac would improve his "efficiency" and you *disagreed*, stating that brooms were "sufficient". What were you disagreeing with?
"The house is blue."
"I disagree. It's a ranch."
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:49:32 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

No, it's creamy Italian.
On 1/19/18 9:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

It's Romaine, you imbeciles!!
--

-MIKE-

This groups always provides at least a little entertainment. Usually after a thread is completely derailed, the usual suspects start picking at each other until one gets pissed off.
Previously (paraphrased):
"thanks to everyone that has called, texted, emailed etc., asking about our welfare during these floods. We are OK, but the city of Houston is in rea l trouble"
Reply: "FU... FU! Don't tell me about RVs, my brother in law owns one and parks it where he wants as long as he wants!
"Does anyone have any information about the Kreg hinge jig?"
Reply: "Don't tell me a broom is better when it clearly isn't!"
LOL!
I don't have much use for dust collection as it just doesn't suit my style of working. When I was doing a lot of refinishing, I certainly used it. I had a 1 hp collector on wheels that I used to hook to my sander for seriou sly dust free sanding using my 16 gallon dust vac.
Doing demo in a house where there is a lot of cutting of sheetrock and some demo, the preferred method is drop down of plastic curtains securely taped to ceilings, walls and floors. Cleanup is ongoing during the day, with a good clean at the end of the day. No hoses on the floor, no moving the mach ine from room to room, etc. In an unoccupied house I have a plumber, elect rician, maybe an A/C guy, painters, carpenters, and me all making dust by c utting sheet rock, repairing walls, modifying cabinets, hanging doors, sand ing, insulating, and on and on. We clean every other day, or at the logica l end of a process.
We don't always use a vac for a vac. One of my helpers a few years ago sta rted cleaning out garage work areas and cleaning off patios or decks like t his: rough sweep all the debris into a pile and pick it up with the pan (w e use a snow scoop) and put it in the trash. Put the shop vac hose on the output side and blow the surfaces clean. I always wondered how he got the garages and patios so clean so fast. My old boss used to say that if you w anted the fastest, easiest way to do something, give the job to the laziest guy on site. They'll figure it out.
I don't use the shop vac as a blower in a house, but if I am working on a p atio, deck, or a nearly empty garage, we always just blow the sawdust out a nd don't pick it up. My clients love the fact that we will blow off their outside surfaces and leave them really clean. If they only knew... they th ink we sweep off leaves and debris by hand and pick it all up. We even use it as a blower when we are cleaning up after landscaping.
Then there's that damn Kreg jig...
Robert

See, I'm not the only one. A lot of times I'll got for the broom instead of the vac and my wife is like, "I thought you used your shop vac." I always say, "It doesn't have to be that clean, right now."
--

-MIKE-

Yes, I found a use for my snow shovel (though 3" of snow shut us down for two days this week). ;-)

And some of us sweep into the DC's floor sweep. ;-)
On 1/20/18 12:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I've done my fair share of that, too. Nice to have options. I have about as many brooms as screwdrivers, for some reason.
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:33:42 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

Probably the fact that we clean up our jobs make us a bit unusual, no?
When working in an occupied house, part of my contractual verbiage says "at the end of each work day the work area will be left broom swept, and all loose material will be removed or secured".
We don't vac a job until we are done, or we need to due to dusty demo. At that point, we have been known to mop floors as well.
Unoccupied homes or office finish outs are cleaned for safety and the ability to work easily. Final cleanup is when we are finished. The rest of the time? Shop vac isn't even on the job. It's brooms and scoops the whole way, right up to the end.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in

Tools were also hand-powered for that time too. A hand powered saw doesn't usually send sawdust flying across the room, so it was easier for the broom.
Puckdropper

Or leave it hanging in the air where it fills the nose and lungs.

Come now - power tools have been around for more than a century and for most of that time, there weren't portable shop vacuums, portable dust collectors or fancy air cleaners in home or farm shops.
Just an idiot stick (c.f. Robert Heinlein's _Glory Road_).