Any Suggestions....Metal Rulers

"Amused" wrote

Try to obtain a stick of 'Engraver's Black', something similar to the sticks of red sealing wax. Probably obtainable from a polish supplier.

I assume that the ruler should be gently heated and the stick rubbed over the gravings

Jeff G

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 6:54am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (George=A0E.=A0Cawthon) doth irregardlessly burble: If it is in the dictionary and it now is in some, it is a word. Nonetheless, what's wrong with it is using it marks one as an ignorant person.

Wouldn't "irregardless" be more proper than "nonetheless"?

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

Don't even THINK of calling them "rulers" or "rules" in front of a machinist or aircraft mechanic. They are "scales".

Dale Scroggins

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

British company calls them "rulers". Under "metal rulers" you can see several examples of what I'm talking about.

tools calls them steel "rules". (Not surprisingly, neither of my two old examples are listed.)

calls their steel tapes, "rules"

have one example of a Brown and Sharpe , but apparently they no longer manufacture and steel rules or rulers, as the case may be.

(In searching some old attic boxes, yesterday afternoon, I happened upon a Brown & Sharpe #4 rule(r), in pristine condition. I have no idea where I acquired it. Double sided, it has four scales, graduated in 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64's. It is heavy like steel, but has some type of anodized or brushed surface, and presents with a light gun-metal gray surface with black printing. It does not appear to be engraved.)

tools refers to them as "steel rules" in their online catalog, but calls them "rulers" in their stock listings

calls them "steel rulers"

have a Fairgate 24" zero-center rule, that I use often. It says so right on it. However, on their WEB site, they are all referred to as "rulers"

consistently refers to them a "rules" including the folding rules.

consistently refers to both "folding rulers" and their steel tapes as "rulers"

consistently refers to "rules" in all instances.

Phillip Stanley, in his "Source Book for Rule Collector" says that "rule" is proper in all instances, except for school "rulers"

Reply to
Amused

It used to be safe to consider that if a word was in the dictionary, it was a real word, but these days that measurement can't be trusted. Look up the word "Ax" in the dictionary - use dictionary.com and if memory serves me correctly, try webster.com. That a word shows up in the dictionary is not really proof it's a proper word. Words are sometimes defined in the dictionary as improper variations of a "real" word.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Whose dictionary?

long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted.

Reply to
Swingman

As does 10 foot tape rule. Now 10' tape measure sounds correct.

Reply to
Leon

> As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get > their

Yeah... A friend and I were conversating. LOL I think it is when you try to define the word it gets tricky.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC a rule has one measurement. A scale had multiple scales of measurement. No?

Reply to
Leon

If there is a point to this, would you mind getting to it?

All you just proved is that there are others with bad language skills.

Reply to
Robatoy

"As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted."

But if by "pedants" you mean people who are smarter than you are, perhaps you ought to give them a listen. They might have good reason. Good reasoning is "real" too.

Regardlessly yours, and with panties feeling great, H

Reply to
hylourgos

Perhaps we should petition the Usenet Gods to change the name of the group to "rec.lexicology."

Mutt

Reply to
Pig

Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 7:07am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) wisely sayeth: As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted.

Twisted panties? No big deal. Beats the Hell outa gettin' yer pendants twisted..

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

No - He (IMHO) defended your statement, by looking at both common usage and companies I consider to be authorities.

Look at those that say the proper term is "rule" and not "ruler":

General Stanley Lufkin Starrett

*I* consider (most of) these to be authorities. They probably made the "rule" you are using. And they *agree* with you.

I think you owe Amused an apology for backing up your claim with more than opinion, and doing it in a way that was polite and allows people to make up their own mind.

Thank you, Amused, for providing some facts and resolving the issue - in my mind. Or course, if you consider Rhinotools or The Ruler Company to be an authority, you may have a different opinion. That's okay as well.

We are allowed to pick those we consider to be authorities, and to make up our own mind based on that.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

"Precise rules are necessary for precision work."

"Precise rulers are necessary for precision work."

Does precision in language trump precision in communication? I would submit that in this particular case (admittedly a contrived example), a rigid adherence to a specialized definition, could well create confusion in a non-specialized audience.

If you feel the need, you may express your opinion at length and I would stipulate that whatever opinion you express would have it's passionate defenders, only noting that entirely opposite opinions would be able to muster supporters, too.

BTW, the only reason I've bothered with all the research is that I happen to believe that precision in language is important, as long as a rigid adherence to the rules is not used as a bludgeon to stop all language development.

So, after some research, I am quite prepared to accept that "rules" is probably preferred, in some arenas, but would argue that "rulers" is accepted in others. (It's a machinist's rule, it's a graphic artist's ruler)

I remain unconvinced that in the general USENET format, (specifically rec.woodworking) "rule" is superior to "ruler". I am willing to accept that in another NG, rec.machinist (if there is such a group) "ruler" might be totally unacceptable.

However, a question does emerge.

"Why would "rulers" be considered correct in schools, (a primary training arena for language), but incorrect in all other applications?"

James...

Reply to
Amused

I know Robatoy, I'm just allowing you to rant. ;-)

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

I was taught that a rule is for measuring with and a ruler is for drawing lines with. Granted that was 50-odd years ago, but I see no reason to change.

Reply to
sondar

Then there's college ruled paper:

paint something, use a painter.

To rule something, use a ruler.

:q

Reply to
Dhakala

I might consider that once I get an explanation why he felt the need to call me a schizophrenic with a skin condition after my making a comment on word usage.

Reply to
Robatoy