Any reason to avoid the Craftsman 14" band saw?

Haven't heard much about Craftsman's newer band saws. Their newer table saws got pretty good reviews. I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory as Rikon and share similarities (look pretty much identical, same table dimensions) It's $479.

The big difference comparing it to the ubiquitous 14" delta clones is it's a steel frame so can't take a riser, but has an 8" resaw (The Rikon 14" has 6"). I can see myself making use of the extra 2" on occasion, I don't anticipate a need for more than 8". I think the 1 hp motor is pretty well sized for that height.

It's got roller bearings. It's got a big honking table (~20x16). Cast iron wheels.

The only downsides I can see are the table doesn't tilt at all to the left. No quick release. It has an odd blade length, but I figure that's only a problem when murphy's law kicks in and the last blade you've got on hand breaks and you've got something that's got to get done today.

Would I be better served getting the cheapest grizzly or ridgid and then upgrading it as needed? Do they have good enough "bones" to build upon?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Yes. Also, take a look at Jet which is very good yet cost less than Delta.

Reply to
Phisherman

Also take a look at the Delta 28-206, built overseas for about $600.

built as heavy as the US version (fit & finish,casting,etc. a little rougher). The problem I have with Craftsman these days is will you be able to buy parts for all those machines that get good reviews today 10 years from now.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

Amazon has the 28-206 for $500. I'm a little concerned about the delivery, we have a difficult and steep driveway, if the trucker can't/won't back up the driveway I have no idea how I'm going to get that sucker up it. We've already had the fedex guy nearly take out the utilities this winter when he lost traction.

I'm in sort of an odd position. I've been approached by a local magazine that wants to include something of mine in their holiday buying guide... 10 months from now, but want to do the interview relatively soon. Financially I would prefer to wait till next year to make a purchase, and yet I have this opportunity and I'd like to put my best foot forward.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Why do you want to buy a saw that you cannot get blades for? Even the store doesn't have them.

Reply to
tdup2

We have a horizontal machining center (CNC) that cost in the neighborhood of $250.000. Bought new less than 6 years ago. Can't buy parts for it anymore. No longer being made. Unfortunately, that's the way it is these days. Long term support is a hope. BTW, it's a Hitachi.

Reply to
CW

All of the good blade manufacturers (timberwolf, etc) will make the length to whatever you need.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Very true. The place I buy them doesn't even stock premade blades. They cut it off the roll and weld it to order.

Reply to
CW

Four friends and the promise of beer?

rm