Any experience with the Ryobi DP101?

I am looking for a relatively basic drill press to enable me to drill straight holes in wood and to use as a mortising machine. Nothing too fancy. I saw the Ryobi DP101 at Home Depot for $99...anyone have any experience with it?

Reply to
MPost

I don't think the mortising attachment will fit that machine. Better check it out for sure before you buy it.

If you spend a little more (about $199) the Delta is a better DP, IMO. To adjust the table height on the cheaper models, you have to loosen the clamping molt while holding the table, then slide the table up or down. The better models have a crank making it more precise and a one handed operation. Nice if you must make adjustments while your work is clamped to the table.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a similar model from Ryobi. Am very happy with it. The quill is 1

9/16". I doubt the mortiser would fit it. Joe

MPost wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I think that's the one we have, I'd have to double check the model number. It vibrates like crazy, with so much noise that you'll want ear protection. The clamp in the back to lock the table doesn't actually lock the table, I have to put a C clamp on it to get it tight enough. There is a plate in the back that gets in the way of sliding the motor in to slacken the belts, making it a pain to change speeds. Mortising, I doubt it.

But it does drill straight holes in wood.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I bought it about two weeks ago. It runs smooth enough that I haven't bolted it to my table yet. It has a crank to run the dp surface up and down and a lever in the back to lock it down.

It feels solidly built to me and the belt for change speeds is easily accessible. It even has a handy place to keep the chuck if you'll actually use it.

I've been very happy with it but only time will tell how durable it is.

With a proper fence I don't see why you couldn't use it to make mortises, but I am very new at this.

Richard

Reply to
Richard A.

"MPost" wrote in news:%vA3d.337162$8_6.285836@attbi_s04:

I've had one for about two years now and am very happy with it. I bought the floor model during a sale, so got it all assembled for about $60, which seemed like a good deal. No problem with runout, it's drilled through everything I've attemped to make a hole in. I added a vice and a fence made from a chunk of aluminum and don't think I need anything more.

I don't think the generic morising attachments will fit it either, but I always cut mine with a router anyway.

-Derek

Reply to
Kiwanda