Another Q about riser blocks on bandsaws

Are riser blocks only made by the company that you bought the saw from and for that paticular saw or are there other aftermarket sources to buy them from later down the road? If you thought you might want a riser block on a bandsaw and you could only get it for that saw from the company it that made it, I guess you would be better off getting it at the same time you bought the saw. Is my thinking on this the concensus of the group? Thanks CC

Reply to
CC

After market guides are manufactured by many companies, usually as ad ons but some are complete with the block assembly. Search 'bandsaw guides'.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

Thanks Chipper, I had searched google and found lots on bandsaws and riser blocks but nothing on after market manufactures, I will try searching again using bandsaw guides CC

Reply to
CC

Adding a riser block means that you thow away your blade inventory and buy longer blades. If you are going to do it, do it up front.

Reply to
Stephen M

When you buy the block is up to you, but you buy it from the company that makes the saw. On the original Delta 14 inch saw, the riser block system involves a long fastener bolt to hold the pieces together but also a couple of small pegs with mating holes meant to ensure precise alignment. I assume the various knock-offs of this saw sold by others feature something similar. Whether Brand X riser block can go on Brand Z's saw would depend on whether all the holes and pegs mate correctly or not. Who knows? But really this is likely a moot point, unless you have some old saw from a company now out of business and have no choice but to search out a different supplier. First of all, there's no such an animal as an "aftermarket" riser block in the true sense of that term (different matter from aftermarket guides). Second, even if the block itself does fit, there is the matter of the post that holds the guides (again, different from guides themselves). Riser blocks are sold as kits that come with a longer replacement post and guard; look at the saw and you'll see why. Delta's post is round with a channel to prevent it from twisting; the knock-offs I have seen have varying systems that are not interchangeable.

Reply to
Woodstock

Thanks for all the information, I hope to be able to buy one in the next couple months, after a table saw purchase and having used a friend of mines bandsaw which only would allow a 6" tall height to be cut makes me sure I will order one with the riser kit. I did notice that there are a lot of model numbers that the riser kits are not available from the manufacture of the saw, so that was the reason for the question. I will have to make sure which ever saw I buy will have that option available and order it at the same time as the saw. Thanks CC

Reply to
CC