Another ignorant router table question

Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

Depends on how many big ignorants you are going to route.

Reply to
Lil Abner

difference with the dust collection?

OOOooohhhhh! Now there is a new low. Even for this group :^}

Well done!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Assuming this is a serious question, which is doubtful, the simple answer is, "yes." Of even more importance is the amount of air flow you have through the chamber housing the router (assuming you are talking about an enclosed router table and not a shelf with a router hanging on it.)

Deb

SBH wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I did say "ignorant" question. Yes, it is serious and yes, it is enclosed.

I do understand a huge enclosed box would have air circulating around and most likely not be adequate suction, depending on the HP of the system, but basically, I should have asked how big is too big? Though, sitting here contemplating my thoughts, I think as long as I keep it fairly small with enough room to get router in and out, I think it'll be fine at it's current area of 14w x 11h x 20d and with a 4" hosed 1.5hp DC system.

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

There are several plans out there for building a router cabinet and all of them fit the discription you made below. In mine, the area where the router sits is about 15x15x24, with a gap under the rear panel of about 2" and five

1 1/4" holes along the bottom of the door. Behind the rear panel is the plenum, which is about 4x15x24 and has the port for the 4" hose near the top and a 2 1/2" hole drilled thorough the table top to catch the debris coming off the bit and is captured by the matching cavity on the fence, ported down through the hole and into the plenum.

This is mated with the impeller from a HF 1 1/2hp dust collector, which has been remote mounted and routed through a cyclone(with a 33ga galvanized trashcan serving as the debris collector) and the discharge ported outside the building into a burlap covered trash can, which is housed in a little building outside the workshop.

More on this, if you are interested.

Deb

SBH wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Didn't mean to offend it was just too easy. :)

Reply to
Lil Abner

SBH,

Perhaps this link might be of some help. Specifically, page 8.

could compare the dimensions shown there with the size of the dust collection port.

HTH.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

IOW, low hanging fruit for the wit-impaired?

Reply to
Robatoy

or, make it as big as you want, slope the floor to the center or one side and put the DC at the bottom. Gravity is hard to beat.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

More of those little suckers will get away, no? This is starting to resemble a statistics problem.

Reply to
Bill

"SBH" wrote Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks

This works for me:

Max

Nice router cabinet. I also liked the Lexington chair!

RicodJour

Milwaukee and Hitachi M12's... how can you go wrong? My favourite routers... but mine don't live in an ultra-nifty cabinet. Can you do dental repairs in your spare time too, Max? It looks like medical equipment...so clean...

Reply to
Robatoy

In an idle moment............ I do get a chance to clean up around the place. You should see it at the present..............working on kitchen cabinets.

Max

Reply to
Max

I would think shape might prove as important as size as well as the size and placement of the air inlet.

But, having said all that, the size of the box is a function of the size of the table, the router, and your hands (assuming you will do the adjustments absent a Router Razor (SP?) or similar. And, I am assuming you are connecting your suction hose to the box/cavity as opposed to one of those attachments that surround the bit/cutting area.

I would guess connecting to both would be ideal.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi