router and router table question

Is it possible to use a router table with the fence set back several inches from the bit and using the bit, a 3/16 straight cutter to rip down some phenolic sheet into strips ???

I am going to fabricate a metal table top and mount the router in the center and just use a piece of heavy sheet metal angle as a fence. I will mount the fence with bolts as this is a one time use....

I once had a router table years and years ago and didnt use it much but for playing around. And I dont remember having the fence away from the bit several inches as I need to have it now.

Anyhow, what I am planning is to mount the router in the center and will bolt the fence down to the rear of the router and feed in from the right to left. I hate to ask such a stupid question but the phenolic I have is limited and I dont want to have to waste any more than neccesary getting familiar with my setup.

any replies or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
cornytheclown

You can do this. I don't know how well the high-speed router will cut the phenolic. You might want a larger bit, too. I wouldn't want that small a bit taking a full-depth cut in one pass.

Go slowly, be careful, and don't forget the safety glasses.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

seems to me that you would be wasting a lot of phenolic as compared to a table saw cutting it into strips.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Do you have a table saw or band saw? Given the stink factor, that is how I would cut it.

Router would probably work OK, but a 3/16" kerf is large and can be avoided. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Possible, yes. Safe, no. Practical, no.

It's not too safe to pass stock between the bit and the fence, as this leaves the entire bit exposed. One slip, and you could wind up routing a 3/16" groove through your hand.

And why use a router with a 3/16" cutter as a saw? Seems to me this might be a case of "if the only tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail". Do you not have access to a table saw or a band saw? It makes *much* more sense to use a saw. Then use the router to trim the edges smooth.

[snip]

All the more reason for using a saw, which removes less material -- and cuts in a single pass, too.

-- Regards, Doug Miller

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Reply to
Doug Miller

A router isn't a good tool for this job. Consider finding a neighbor with a bandsaw. The bandsaw will do the job well and safely, and will waste much less of your phenolic.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Formica (~1/16 thick) will tolerate a wide kerf cut on the router table with a solid carbide cutter. Anything thicker or with HSS will not work for very long. WOuld band saw if tablesaw unavailable. Routers can cut phenolic/lam (>1/16)but the power required is high and it has to one of the hardest things on a turning carbide bit.

(Routers)

Routerman P. Warner