Another humidor question for you humidor makers

For some time I have wanted to make a chest humi. My question is , can one be made with a faced plywood? I realize that with any wood that the inside side would have to be sealed with something to keep the moisture from ruining it. What are your opinions and experiences here.

Reply to
Paul O.

Faced plywood can work just fine for the exterior. Make sure the plywood has not been treated with anything that could impart a bad taste to your cigars, or seal the exterior from the interior spanish cedar or Honduran mahogany to prevent the odor from migrating inside the cabinet.

As for sealing the unit, this really depends on the area you live in. If your in a very dry climate (desert) then you will need a full seal to maintain 70%. However if your in a medium to full humidity climate then it's ok to have less then a full seal. Your cigars need a little circulation anyway which is why it's recommended you rotate them every now and then, so it's ok not to have a 100% sealed box.

Depend> For some time I have wanted to make a chest humi. My question is , can one

Reply to
Carter

And if you live in a area where the ambient humidty frequently runs MORE than the 70% you are aiming for, you need the OASIS and PG to keep the interior humidity from getting too HIGH It will release water if the interior humidity drops below 70% (like when adding a bunch of cigars you found on sale) and will absorb humidity when the interior environment gets too high

Active, and especially computer/electronically controlled humidification may be all that is needed in a locale that is consistantly below 70%RH

John

Reply to
John

lumber store here and get a good faced ply and treat the interior with a good wood sealer and silicon all the interior joint edges before putting the cedar in.As far as the outside, my finish of choice at the moment is wipe on poly, however that may change depending on what faced ply I decide to use. Currently making stuff out of red oak and may stay with that to match other projects I want to do in oak. But we will see, I would kinda like to do something in a nice dark wood tho. Thanks again.

Reply to
Paul O.

Reply to
Carter