Advice: How to address a curved edge

Stunning photos on your flickr site. What camera are you using?

Reply to
gray_wolf

Those really are some terrific pictures, especially the lighted city scapes. With those old B&Ws, it looks like the talent runs in the family.

Reply to
Michael

I have had some success with curves:

In this case, the ends of the "bridge" need to be deep enough to hold the s peakers, as well as a couple of pieces of gear that I don't need all the ti me (in the little cubbies below the speakers). The middle of the bridge onl y needs to be deep enough for the monitor bases and a couple of small audio "boxes" underneath. And, I want to be able to see the mixer controls a lit tle more easily; the cutout should help some.

Incidentally, has anyone here used the "Camera Position" function in Sketch up? I figured it out the other day and it has helped me to estimate what wi ll be in my sight line from my sitting position at the desk.

So: I could have simply made the middle section less deep, but in a straigh t line and square corners. I just think the curve is more elegant looking. Anyway, pattern-routing is fun. Although in this case I will have to use th e router handheld rather than my (small, crappy) table.

Here's the latest iteration:

Greg Guarino

Thanks for the kind words. I have used several cameras over the years. Cano n AE-1 film cameras, a Kodak 880, and most recently a Nikon D3300. But a lo t of the New York City photos were actually taken with a phone, a three yea r old Samsung S6. I don't use it for "serious" photos, but my exercise "reg imen" in my dotage is to walk about four miles a day; I take different rout es, and I take photos whenever something strikes me.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

es. With those old B&Ws, it looks like the talent runs in the family.

Thanks a lot. After my parents passed on, I discovered a trove of old negat ives and slides. I've been slowly scanning them. There are 35mm slides and negatives from the Argus rangefinder they had when they were first married (in 1952), plus 2x2 and even 4x5 negatives! Each set is a new little treasu re.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I'm not sure why the post you responded to was attributed to me. Bad snippage, perhaps?

Me either.

DinSoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

I just ripped some 3/16 mahogany strips to glue onto a 24" round plywood lazy susan. It bent and glued easily. I did the math and cut the banding to the required circumference. I have a calculater app that does the math for me.

elakson

Not sure either. When I was more active on newsgroups I had a real newsreader, but lately I've been using the accursed Google Groups.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

The math? You mean Pi(D)? :-p

Nice woodwork, by the way.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It doesn't seem to matter much what you are using. Your technique is top drawer. :-) I got the D3400 two years back on a black Friday sale. I wish it handled like my D90.

I got bit by the camera bug back in the late '70s. Then I really went nuts with Pentax 6x7, 4x5 and had my own color darkroom. In the late '80s I bought into the Nikon N90s, Hasselblad 500 CM and a Linhof 4x5 monorail.

It was a blast. My friend, the manager of a downtown camera store pushed me over the cliff with a deal on the 6x7. I used to complain to him that he never told me how much money I'd be spending. He said "yeah but if there was anything more fun I should let him know."

Reply to
gray_wolf

Yes!

In that case, 1/4" oak should be no problem, as Leon suggested. Particularly quarter sawn (straight grain)

Reply to
Jack

Canon AE-1 film cameras, a Kodak 880, and most recently a Nikon D3300. But a lot of the New York City photos were actually taken with a phone, a three year old Samsung S6. I don't use it for "serious" photos, but my exercise "regimen" in my dotage is to walk about four miles a day; I take different routes, and I take photos whenever something strikes me.

Agreed. Years ago, I was at a conference once with my OM-1. A professional photographer took a few shots with my camera. When I got the film develope d, there was no doubt: It's the craftsman, not the tools.

Reply to
Michael