Actual Woodworking ;~)

Thank you! It was easier to find the way the *day after* I did a project in at least 3 hours (that would have taken only 30 minutes, if I wasn't a bit rusty).

For instance, here is a challenge problem to the SU newbys that I ran into: Try to draw a circle with just a little bit of the perimeter/circumference missing, like 270-degrees, or 3/4 of a circle. I relearned how to do it, indeed, in two different ways, but not without getting a little frustrated first.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Initially, I had wanted to do the whole build by hand, including planing, n o power tools, at all, but that turned out to be too big of job. I brought the boards to Lafayette Woodworks and they planed them. A nail was hit i n the last board, so the guy stopped planing. That board remained 1/8" t hicker than the other three.... 4 boards were planed and one board didn't p ass the selection committee. In the end, the guy quoted me $25 for the pla ning. I paid him $50.

There was some confusion for me, too, with these doings: Glue the joints or not (and, now, dutchmans are in the mix). No glue meant 3 separate boar ds to contend with. Gluing the boards meant the "one piece" top would be h eavy as heck and difficult to move, when/if need be. I had two options for attaching 1) the table top to the 2) two of two/three piece attaching mecha nism (sliding dovetail assembly), which attached to 3) each leg unit. Thes e combo of options presented for several alternatives, confusing when I tri ed to visualize/compare the workings of each option or option combo, as to which is best.

Leon's comment and, now, your comment reminded me: Well, duh, I don't have to worry about movement along a secured joint line, itself. As you say, it s the edges of the outer boards and the center of the middle board that wil l move. I did realize this some months ago, but for some reason, I had comp letely forgotten about that...... thinking too much on the other options, I guess. Not the only time I've over-thought something and the mind went b lank to the obvious. Must be the beer or highball, I use for mind food, a nd/or the Cajun music influence, when in the shop. There've been times, w alking across the shop, and a good song is playing, I'll do a few two-steps along the way... keeps my blood flowing, but not necessarily my mind.

The tabletop, whether glued or not: I only need one fixed attachment to eac h leg unit. The rest of the width can move along the line of its leg. I don't need the top secured to the legs with any more attachments. The to p's weight will/should keep it secure, otherwise, even with unruly folks cr owded around it. The trestle board-leg units assembly is rock solid, when assembled.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

If you simply choose the "arc" tool. ;~) Start the arc and then type in the degrees.

Reply to
Leon

Surprised he didn't run a metal detector over the material. I have a hand held wand type detector. Once I calibrate it quickly I never miss a nail. Of course there are always those boards I'm sure don't have nails that I don't check that do have a nail in them. Funny part is that it was some old wood from a fence and the nail was like butter. For me knots have been more of a problem than nails. One knot chipped my planer blade.

If I read the dimensions right that's quite a big table. Is it a commision project? It is almost 12 feet long so maybe it's a conference table?

But how did the lumber end up with nails in it?

Reply to
Electric Comet

We demolished & salvaged an old cypress house, on the farm, and dozed two n earby walnut trees in the process. I had the log of one tree and several large limbs of the other tree milled. The other tree's trunk was no good for milling, plus it was highly suspect for having metal in it, being so c lose to the house, more so than the better tree. It's very common for tre es, especially near homes, to have metal in them. Along old fence lines, trees likely have wire fencing and nails in them.

Before planing, the boards were thoroughly visibly inspected. Laf. Woodwo rks was as confident as I, that there were no nails in the boards. The na il was barely nicked and they decided it was no big deal, hence charging me only $25. The work was well worth more than that, to me. I was very pl eased with the planing job. *The nail is still in the board, as character decor.

Five projects, so for, with the salvaged lumber and walnut lumber. There a re a number of pics, for each, spread about my Flickr pages.

1) No pics, that I recall, were taken for the two bathroom corner cabinets. 2) Shaving horse, made from limb boards. Limb lumber is usually unstable, stress-loaded, not usually good for building stuff.
3) Faux mantle place, for the camp
4) Gun cabinet, for the camp
5) In-progress trestle dining table, maybe for the camp, not sure yet. http s://

Original log. Some parts of the forks and parts of the rootballs were tr immed and given to a woodturner friend -

Old cypress house. The roof's cross pieces, for nailing the wooden shingl es to, were hand split boards, that the gun cabinet was made with.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I figured that out later, when I was sketching some arcs! : )

Reply to
Bill

;~) You know some times if you start with a blank screen and click on all of those icons one at a time to see what they do....

LOL

That is how I learn. But that said I have been working with CAD programs since 1986 and knowing "what/that" they can do some things is half the battle.

good on you!

Reply to
Leon

I remembered "what they can do" collectively. I just couldn't remember how to use them to do it! That said, I thinking "preaching sketchup" is good. I've come to the belief that "good art" is the result of "good design". "good enough" is another topic (and a perfectly valid one). Don't get me wound up! ; )

Reply to
Bill

good point I had not thought about

can charge extra for that nail

nice stuff some of that looks real stout

always have liked salvaged wood products one other concern with salvage is bugs

i have seen them use space heaters and tarps and slow roast for a few days

Reply to
Electric Comet

Thanks. Long ago, I would build bulk furniture, etc, somewhat to compensate for my lack of skills. I'm getting better about that, but I do like the old(?) rural(?) bulky rustic look, to some extent & for some projects.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

i like stuff that people care about doing especially if it is not a knock-off or copy of something else

it always shows through

that old saying about don't let perfect get in the way of good enough makes a lot of sense to me

i enjoy looking at museum quality pieces but it is not that fun to obsess over minute details of fit and finish

Reply to
Electric Comet

For Making Woodfurniture you need to buy Woodworking machine tool which help you to make your furniture creatively.For online buy woodworking machine tool you can visit the site

here you can buy any brand machine blades.

Thanks, Brain

Reply to
brainpinto

I couldn't believe that a British company would post such garbled grammar. It didn't - the post came from India.

Reply to
Trenbidia