Accountants as engineers - Ppppfffftt''

S. Central VA is not exactly the frigid north in June, July, August and well into September.

I gave up when the 'new' Freon came online and it was going to cost me some big bugs to replace the compressor and refill the system. I forget how much now, but that $140 compressor was way, way under a third of what the refill was going to cost.

I'm too cheap for that. I'd far rather sweat.

Charlie Self "Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Reply to
Charlie Self

Bingo!

Reply to
CW

Not Owen but I personally think they've been subsidizing the Unisaw with the sale of other machines. Like Owen I can go back through past issues of magazines and find the full page machinery/tool seller's ads and track back a "sameish" price for at least ten years and maybe more.

As for sacrificing quality, yes the Unisaw has changed but it's been things like the morphing of the dust door until there was finally none, the changing of lock knobs from die cast with a chrome finish to plastic (plastique David) and of course the greatest crime of all the elimination of the cast iron plinth.

sigh...

As for the innards, there have been changes but nothing of the magnitude that allows for an easy explanation of why the saw hasn't kept up with the rate of inflation.

Now, there have been instances of bad quality control but that seems to be hit or miss. In other words, you can still buy a good Unisaw.

If anything the real change with the Unisaw has been it just ain't as classy as it once was.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My 95 Ram 1500 has almost 170,000 miles on it. It still has the original engine (doesn't use oil) and, original transmission (nice and tight). The only problems are that the head liner is starting to sag and the paint is flaking off on one fender.

Grant

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Agreed. But I was talking about what happened in the industry 20 - 30 years ago. Our scorecard since that time frame is.

- '72 Vega GT - Spent 4 of its 18 months in the shop having engine parts and rear ends replaced. Developed bad habit of loosing power or dying when you pulled out from an intersection - bad with semi's approaching.

-'74 Cutlass Supreme - Started rusting three months after delivery. Two trips to the dealers body shop then we all threw up our hands. When traded three years later the trunk latch was held in place with bondo and rivets. (we do NOT live in a high salt area). Also replaced two water pumps and then rear wire harness so tail lights would go out.

- '74 Volvo 145 Wagon. Purchased with 40,000 miles and drove it to 170,000 miles. Replaced one fuel pump and odometer module. Experienced HEAVY impact from rear that destroyed our camping trailer and pushed part of it through rear window. Minimal body damage. Ranger that worked accident said "thank your stars you were in a Volvo."

- '80 Volvo 245. Purchased with about 45,000 miles. Drove four years with no repairs.

- '82 Volvo diesel - POS

- 86 Chevy Blazer - Bought new, drove 10 years/150,000 miles. Replaced steering sector, two radiators, two water pumps. Overall pretty good since it towed quite a bit.

- 87 Honda - Purchased at about 50,000 miles. Drove to 150,000 miles. One fuel pump, one alternator

- 97 Chevy Pickup - Bought new, drove 80,000 miles. Two ring and pinion sets, One complete rear axle, Removed environmental ducts to clean out manufacturing debris that disabled the system. Replaced heater inlet plumbing at head requiring removal of head on one side. One water pump.

- '02 Chevy 2500HD, 8.1L, Allison - 43,000 so far. Replaced drive shaft. Replaced rear transmission seal. When oil consumption dropped to 850 miles/qt Chevy finally owned up to a service bulletin that replaced head gaskets and bolts to fix (?) a known oil consumption problem. Experience "piston slap" noise on startup (brother in law thought it was a diesel) that GM refuses to recognize as a problem.

- '99 Toyota Camry, 95,000 miles so far, no repairs - just maintenance.

Sad to say, with the exception of the diesel volvo, off-shore products win.

Reply to
RonB

I agree in the 70's and part of the 80's, but I've had more recent experience otherwise. Aside from normal things like brakes, tires and oil changes.

86 Mercedes 135K Water pump, cooling fan, cruise control module ($450), alternator, fuel injectors, cruise control again, rear bumper fell off (honest, it is glued on), wheel bearing, radio.Cooling fan sensor, and probably more. IIRC, the air cleaner element was about $45. 91 Regal 135K Water pump. front struts (still use it, maybe 2 more years) 97 Le Sabre 90K NO repairs (traded for the 01) 01 Le Sabre 88K NO repairs (plan to keep it 6 or more years yet)
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In '67 I bought a new Fairlane GT convert. Between '67 and '69, the dealer replaced every part in/on the engine, transmission and the differential along with most of the interior. They had it more than I did. Swapped to GM until I bought a new '99 F150 Lariat extended cab..5.4 V8-auto-PS-PB-air-leather and all the goodies. In order to get it off the lot, they had to replace the power steering pump, then in the next

30K miles,they caulked then replaced the windshield, replaced the back window (twice), the side indicator mirror, the steering wheel and I had to replace the brakes and tires. All this and only getting 17 MPG on the road. I got rid of that POS at 30K because the dealer couldn't diagnose the transmission failing. Currently I have 2 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1 with 60K and the other with 30K. No complaints with either. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

It's sad. I see all kinds of cost-cutting efforts that sacrifice quality but Americans love cheap. I bought a Starrett Wade square last month for $165 (with compass and center finder), yet I know WalMart has the same thing for $12.95.

I have made all kinds of knobs from scraps of hardwood, make a hex hole into them, then epoxy a nut into the hold. Makes it much easier to tighten/loosen.

Reply to
Phisherman

Starrett Wade? I know of Starrett and Garret-Wade.

The Wal*Mart job is probably OK for some work, but usually won't be as accurate, as easy to read, as smooth operating. Depends on how much you value that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, they don't. They might have something similar at that price, and less accurate (probably much less), but it won't be "the same thing" as a Starrett (assuming that's what you meant by "Starrett Wade").

Doug Miller

Wally World may have squares, perhaps even with both compass and centerfinder, but I doubt it. They assuredly do not have Starretts, nor do they havew the acuracy, precision or smoothness of operation. Quality always costs more, and nothing but quality will do in certain circumstances. The cheap knock-off may be accurate if you are lucky, when you first get it it, but it will lack precision, and over time, lose its accuracy. It will always feel clunky.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

Toyota Tundra doesn't fit your needs?

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Does it hold a 4x8 sheet flat with the tailgate closed? That's my standard of "A truck" versus "A family car"

I need it about once a month, but when I need it, I REALLY need it.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

My Chevy 2500HD, 8.1L Shortbed won't hold a 4x8sheet with the tailgate closed. It will pull a 33', 12,000 pound 5th wheel trailer with a 2,000 pound pin weight over a 10,000 ft mountain pass in 2nd or 3rd gear at 55 MPH. It also barely squats with topsoil heaped over the wheel wells.

It isn't a family car!

Reply to
RonB

My friends range rover can carry a full size 8x4 sheet inboard with the tailgate shut, and is used as a family car:

njf>badge

Sounds like a nice truck except ~8 MPG yet can't haul plywood with the tailgate up or a 14 foot board.

Reminds me some men I've heard of. All bulk but come up SHORT on the business end. teehee

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I was in the same situation about 8 months ago. I knew I would be needing a truck, to haul stuff, general working etc. Found a used (1986) F150 straight six with a good bed and liner - $700.00. Not the best in looks, but I really don't care what the snobs in the neighborhood think. I use mine all the time to haul stuff to the dump, bring lumber home, pull a trailer, etc. I tell the daughters that this is the best vehicle I own because it runs, works hard and is paid for.

JAW

U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

Reply to
JAW

Buy a General 650 while you still can. Only some minor 'cost reductions' evident. I bet they lose $$ on each one.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell