Abrasive wheel on miter saw

I'm not surprised. I likely spoke before putting my head in gear. When you consider all the relatively inexpensive tools available to us these days, I would expect that the vast majority use aluminum, which can be cast inexpensively. Why would I expect a chop saw to be any different? I have an old Milwaukee (chop saw) in storage. The more I think about it, the more I think it very well may be aluminum, too. My comments were flavored by my experiences of working in industry, where serious equipment is made of iron or steel.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

... and both my chop saw and my compound miter would fall into the category of "less than" top end tools. Both serve their purposes well and make accurate cuts, (to the extent that an old B&D chop saw can make an accurate cuts), but they certainly fit into the category you speak of.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike Marlow wrote: ...

My point was intended more that after using it for metal-cutting extensively it wouldn't be much good for precision woodworking any longer...

The metal-cutting chop saw isn't Al and after the years of use it has, if it were built like the miter saw it might still suffice for a chop saw but it certainly wouldn't be an accurate miter saw...

But it gets farm repair use, not just the rare cut one light piece of metal that a strictly woodshop saw might get...but I don't think the miter saw would have held up even to some of the work the chop saw has done in its life...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote: Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem whatsoever and my saw still runs like a new.

Reply to
Lulu

replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote: Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem whatsoever and my saw still runs like a new.

Reply to
Lulu

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote: > replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote: > Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem > whatsoever and > my saw still runs like a new.

I've done it when needed, but modern mitre saws have lots of plastic parts and you will melt them. I know first hand. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a dedicated 14 inch abrasive chop-saw that I got for nothing with a damaged handle. Handle and switch upgrade from Milwaukee cost me about $15. Does all the cutting I'll need.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Somewhere I've got a picture of my then 12 YO son cutting a 3/4 steel rod on my old 10" Delta CMS. We were making parts for his Soap Box Derby car. He had already made dozens of cuts, so I was comfortable setting up the picture:

I gave him a long rod so his fingers were no where near the blade. He lowered the disk into the rod just before I turned off the lights in the windowless shop and took a couple of pictures. His face was lit up by the orange glow of the shooting sparks.

I gotta find that picture.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes find that picture and share. Sounds way cool!

Reply to
Leon