A Warm Fuzzy

I consider this a warm fuzzy, because I'm not getting enough to make it a gloat. Mini gloat possibly, but actual gloat, no.

Dropped by the older son's pce yesterday, with a can of wood sealer. He does A/C work and some hardwood floor installer had left 4 or 5 unopened bundles of new hardwood flooring at one of the newhome job sites, and just abandoned it. I understand things like that happen pretty frequently. I'd go beck for it myself, or never leave it in the first place; but apparently a lot of them just don't bother. So, it was just about to go into a cleanup bonfire, when my son chanced by and grabbed it. It's white oak, all about 2.5" wide, maybe 2' long, not premium stuff, not quite smooth enugh to just put in and not sand, but quite decent. There wasn't quite enough to do his front room, which is not huge, so he's using sme for another project, and he's gonna give me what's left. Which should be about a bundle worth. Not sure yet just what I'll use it for, but a nice chess board immediately comes to mind. In fact, a nice silhouette chess set would be very doable too, with maybe a set of checkers, and/or a domino set. Free wood is always popular wood. The Woodworking Gods consider this a quite suitable sacrifice for them.

J T

new hardwood flooring ...

stuff,..... Not sure yet just what I'll use it for ...

I've used oak flooring for along-the-wall benchtops in my shop. It's nailed to a 3/4" MDO (could be plywood instead) base, sanded, and varnished.

I've also used "Brazilian Cherry" the same way for a cheap, but attractive computer desk top.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

Fri, Jul 6, 2007, 7:36pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth sayeth: I've used oak flooring for along-the-wall benchtops in my shop. It's nailed to a 3/4" MDO (could be plywood instead) base, sanded, and varnished.

I'd only use something like that in my shop, if I could actually see the bench tops, to admire it. In my smal shop I haven't even seen some of my bench tops for years, so it's plywood for now.

J T