A vastly underrated wood?

Sounds like you need to consider relocating! I'd bet I mowed under about 50 or 60 maple saplings last week alone. If we didn't keep up with 'em, they'd overgrow the house. But of course, every blessing gets a little stale with time- some days I'd just about kill for some of the interesting looking southern hardwoods. You can keep the piney wood, though!

Reply to
Prometheus

Yep, mixed blessing, all right. Cutting a couple cherry for spoons, and the blackflies got me good around the ankles.

Reply to
George

I wouldn't be surprised if the sides hadn't been replaced at some time.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Could be. The endgrain would be darker anyway, of course, but I peered at the photo to see if that was the case; I'm pretty sure it was stained. As to replacement, I simply pulled out the top center drawer to take the photo. Figger that's the same drawer ever'one else reaches for first, so both the most likely to have been repaired and the most likely place to put a repaired drawer.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Deep Woods Off is my friend... :)

Reply to
Prometheus

You know, I've had a lot of luck just by eating obscene amounts of garlic and spicy foods. The bugs won't have anything to do with me.

Come to think of it, neither will people...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Always thought it was sort of funny when sitting in the local watering hole as the piece cutters came in smelling a bit like the house of ill repute from Avon "Skin So Soft." Works, though.

Reply to
George

not here it dosn't, spent a week in the Sawtooths a number of years ago when "Skin So Soft" first came out, didn't do a thing, came out dirty, bug bittin, grumpy, and people where looking at me funny when we stoped for lunch, becouse the way we smelled

Reply to
Richard Clements

Hm...[nips outside for a second]

Well, I've got...lessee...a couple cottonwoods (i.e. poplar), countless red and silver maple seedlings, not to mention more than a few mulberries sprouting outside right now. Oh, and five black walnuts, from seeds buried by the squirrels before that particular yard tree was cut down, 4 years ago.

*grin*

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

Yebbut, that's for people with soft skin. I kinda like that hardcore Deet smell.

Reply to
Prometheus

Reply to
Mike Reed

Do you have to wear one of those sleeveless undershirts and three gold chains, too?

Reply to
George

I do that every so often, but then the wife yells at me. I just tell her to have some too, and then she won't notice.

Stinky stuff, but it sure tastes good- and has quite few health benefits.

Reply to
Prometheus