A solid glued panel China hutch?

I defer to this group. A friend is making a full size china hutch from solid panel black walnut. The panels are all joined with biscuits and the "box" in turn is joined with biscuits. The panels are around 29" deep by

24" tall to form the lower box, and the top is some 60" tall by 20" wide.

I'm telling him that he did not allow for any expansion and that this thing is doomed to blow up! am I off base here? (he's nearly done so its a mute point anyhow...just interested in what the wreck has to say...)

Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

David

I've built a number of solid panel cabinets myself. If the grain is all running the same direction, it shouldn't self-destruct (everything expands and contracts in the same direction).

david

ps I do use frame and panel back in all my cabinets--but sides, top, and bottom would be solid wood

Reply to
David E. Penner

Reply to
neal.don

I assume what you mean by "solid panel" black walnut is that it is solid black walnut through and through and not a laminate or plywood made with walnut veneers. Because there are some who will call it solid even though it is laminated. A fine point in terminology but a big difference in stability.

First black walnut is a very stable wood. So even if he did create cross grain joints it will likely be many years before he will see any problems. As long as the joints are with the grain running in the same direction he will not have a problem. Where he would have a problem with that is how he fastened the front and back panels.

Area he lives in will make a difference too. Southern California for instance. The humidity levels do not change long enough to make a difference to the wood.

Roy

Reply to
royneu

So he won't talk about it? If that is the case, it would be moot. ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If he won't talk about it, _he_ is *mute* on the subject.

If there's "no point" in talking about it, because things have progressed past the point under discussion, then the _subject_ is "moot".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Right, he's mute because it is moot

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And, if he insists on changing the subject, rather than talking about it, isn't that "mute-ation" ?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi