A little customer service story

I bought a Kreg Precision Band Saw Fence because it was on sale or something at Woodcraft (and it gave a perfect excuse to buy a bandsaw). When I was assmbling it, I found the hole in the clamp block for the lock down knob had not been tapped for the thread.

I dropped an email to Kreg that evening, asking if I should return the fence to the dealer. The next afternoon, I had a response. It could not have been better. The customer service rep apologized and said a replacement would be sent out immediately. And you know what? It was!

-- arriving in under a week, even with a Federal holiday.

That's the way it should be done. Thanks, Kreg Tool Company!

Reply to
Steve

It's a good thing.. Tom

Reply to
tom

Steve wrote in news:4b7f44ea$0$5103$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

I'm in the process of finding out...and so far, so good

I bought a Kreg fence and Micro-adjuster for my 14" Rockwell bandsaw. Installation per their instructions went perfectly...until I tried to use the Micro-Adjuster. When I locked down the adjuster to the rail, it wouldn't move the fence. Call to Kreg. The person there said that the knurled knob on the adjester was too large (earlier production models), and was rubbing on the rail, and they would ship out a new one immediadely. I rechecked it and saw that it was not rubbing, and called them back. I told them I found that once the fence's side was adjusted parallel to the blade (per their manual's instructions) that the fence base was tilted slightly and would bind the adjuster's screw. If I adjusted the base back parallel to the rail, the adjuster worked, but the fence was no longer vertically parallel to the blade. I verified that the table was perpendicular to the blade and that the fence rail was parallel to the table. Emailed them photos. They said that the bracket that attaches the fence to the sliding base on the rail was probaby not square, and sent me out a new one. Trying the new one, showed no improvement. I checked the rail for flatness with a 2' Starrett straight edge, and it was perfect. I finally put a dial test indicator on the table with the tip on top of the sliding fence base. When I slid the base back an forth it indicated that the top was slightly arched, with the center about 0.0025" higher than the left and right ends. I sent photos to their tech support, and am now waiting for info back from their engineers.

So far they've shown every indication of agressively supporting their product.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

I agree that Kreg takes care of its customers, they replaced their early version miter gauge the same way for me.

However IMHO taking it back to the dealer, which I did, should be the first course of action. Unfortunately the problem I was having was an enherant production problem, Kreg eventually had to pull several off their line and test before sending me a replacement because all the ones at the dealer had the same problem. Having to wait for one to be shipped when the dealer could easily exchange a unit because of an isolated workmanship problem is not what I call good service. They should have sent you to the dealer IMHO. The up side is that Kreg did not require me to return the old one, I kept it for spare parts if I need them.

Reply to
Leon

Yeahbut, this saved a 45-mile round trip.

That's not an inconsiderable savings, particularly in that I can't walk into one of those stores without spending MORE money.

Reply to
Steve

"Leon" wrote in news:_dWdnfpSN_XMwBzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Since this appeared from the start to be a manufacturing problem, going through the dealer (internet vendor) would have just added a delay at each step we've taken so far. I don't place the problem with the vendor, so have no problem leaving them out of it until I get a final fix. Then I'll let them know...if Kreg hasn't by then.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

There is that, and THAT is certainly what I would have chosen to do in your circumstances also. My dealer was within walking distance. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Since neither of you mentioned that you did not buy from a close by dealer in your original comments I was under the assumption that it would have been faster and easier for both of you to return the items to your local dealer.

Under each of your unique circumstancs I agree with both methods taken to resolve the problem.

Reply to
Leon