I bought a Kreg Precision Band Saw Fence because it was on sale or
something at Woodcraft (and it gave a perfect excuse to buy a bandsaw).
When I was assmbling it, I found the hole in the clamp block for the
lock down knob had not been tapped for the thread.
I dropped an email to Kreg that evening, asking if I should return the
fence to the dealer. The next afternoon, I had a response. It could not
have been better. The customer service rep apologized and said a
replacement would be sent out immediately. And you know what? It was!
-- arriving in under a week, even with a Federal holiday.
That's the way it should be done. Thanks, Kreg Tool Company!
I'm in the process of finding out...and so far, so good
I bought a Kreg fence and Micro-adjuster for my 14" Rockwell
bandsaw. Installation per their instructions went
perfectly...until I tried to use the Micro-Adjuster. When I
locked down the adjuster to the rail, it wouldn't move the
fence. Call to Kreg. The person there said that the knurled
knob on the adjester was too large (earlier production
models), and was rubbing on the rail, and they would ship out
a new one immediadely. I rechecked it and saw that it was
not rubbing, and called them back. I told them I found that
once the fence's side was adjusted parallel to the blade (per
their manual's instructions) that the fence base was tilted
slightly and would bind the adjuster's screw. If I adjusted
the base back parallel to the rail, the adjuster worked, but
the fence was no longer vertically parallel to the blade. I
verified that the table was perpendicular to the blade and
that the fence rail was parallel to the table. Emailed them
photos. They said that the bracket that attaches the fence
to the sliding base on the rail was probaby not square, and
sent me out a new one. Trying the new one, showed no
improvement. I checked the rail for flatness with a 2'
Starrett straight edge, and it was perfect. I finally put a
dial test indicator on the table with the tip on top of the
sliding fence base. When I slid the base back an forth it
indicated that the top was slightly arched, with the center
about 0.0025" higher than the left and right ends. I sent
photos to their tech support, and am now waiting for info
back from their engineers.
So far they've shown every indication of agressively
supporting their product.
I agree that Kreg takes care of its customers, they replaced their early
version miter gauge the same way for me.
However IMHO taking it back to the dealer, which I did, should be the first
course of action. Unfortunately the problem I was having was an enherant
production problem, Kreg eventually had to pull several off their line and
test before sending me a replacement because all the ones at the dealer had
the same problem.
Having to wait for one to be shipped when the dealer could easily exchange a
unit because of an isolated workmanship problem is not what I call good
service. They should have sent you to the dealer IMHO. The up side is that
Kreg did not require me to return the old one, I kept it for spare parts if
I need them.
Since this appeared from the start to be a manufacturing
problem, going through the dealer (internet vendor) would
have just added a delay at each step we've taken so far. I
don't place the problem with the vendor, so have no problem
leaving them out of it until I get a final fix. Then I'll
let them know...if Kreg hasn't by then.
Since neither of you mentioned that you did not buy from a close by dealer
in your original comments I was under the assumption that it would have been
faster and easier for both of you to return the items to your local dealer.
Under each of your unique circumstancs I agree with both methods taken to
resolve the problem.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.