Walker Turner bandsaw

I have an old Walker Turner 16 inch bandsaw that runs. The guides suck, there is no fence and I have put new tires on it. I've been thinking about upgrading it, new guides (Carter $195.00) fence (Kreg Precision Bandsaw Fence $145.00) and miter guide (??, maybe use the TS one).

I've been looking at the Jet BS for $1k buck. Its a k buck vs $344 with no assurance that the Walker Turner will perform as a new saw. So what things should I look for in my Walker Turner that would indicate that its not worth upgrading ? I'm not concern about resale value, I don't sell my tools.

Thanks in advance.

Jer

Reply to
Jerry

Jer I have two of these and they are the best. I think that these machines can do everything modern machines can do and live forever. The new guides and fence is well worth it. max

Reply to
max

Asking a question like that here is like walking into a Denny's and asking the cook his favorite gourmet recipes. You really need to get to the OWWM and do some searching there. The saw (the Walker-Turner) is probably one of the better saws ever made. Good enough that should you ever decide to sell it for a J*t you'd qualify yourself for the Darwin Award.

No really.

Anyway, I've a minute here before I head for the showers. Let me see if I can find something you should really be reading.

Wait here. I'll be right back. Talk amongst yourselves.

Here we go. Slide down to the article by Bob Vaughn on Fine Tuning a Band Saw and start there.

's pretty much the man when it comes to 'chinery tuning/maintenance. One thing I do know is he's not too high on the Carters. Not knowing what exactly is wrong with your guides I'd not know what to tell you on that.

In addition to that I'd also contact other 16" Walker-Turner band saw owners and pick their brains. Start here.

take a lookee at Roger Van Maren's saw.

builds his own fences and there was a thread on it a while back. He posted plans somewhere but I don't have them. Anyways, it's a pretty inspirational thing to see.

Now, in case you are the type that refuses good advice (advise in WreckSpeak) and you are close to me (upper Midwest/mid-coast) and you'd like a small nest egg to get yourself going on buying the J*t, I'd be happy to help fund you on that. Can't say I'll give you much but I'll give you something. No really, I would.

I'm not assuring you sight unseen that the Walker-Turner will be the best band saw you'll get your hands on but I'm a betting man and I'd say it's worth the effort.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

What's the bar that carries the guides like ? The guides can be swapped easily, but rigidity in this bar is important and not commonly found on modern machines.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Great links, thanks UA100. And I will take a look at the bar that carries the guides.

I guess I need to tune the machine according to Bob Vaughn. I obtained the machine when we bought the barn. I'm pretty sure I bonded with it the first time I used it. It hissed through the wood. I liked the machine instantly.

Jer

Reply to
Jerry

instantly.

And if I'm not mistaken the wheel covers and the stand are all cast iron. You won't find that anywhere anymore.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Unisaw A100 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If the OP is on the left coast, and still wants a modern Jet 16, I'll swap him mine, including the spiffy new fence...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Well, yes I am on the left coast, east Tennessee. I'm gonna tune it up and take it from there. Another question. I know next to nothing about bandsaws other than to keep my fingers off the blade when its running. I put new tires on it cause the old ones were all cracked and hard. I think they were original factory ones. Was I supposed to cut a crown on them?

Thanks Jer

Reply to
Jerry

Hard to say (I don't have a Walker-Turner/sigh...) but a quick look by you will tell if the wheels (the metal rims) are crowned thus crowing the tires.

Now, if you find there's vibration you may need to grind the tires. I think the Vaughn article covers this though it would not hurt to search the OWWM archives as there was some discussion on this a couple/few times over the last couple/few months.

One guy came up with a fixture for tire grinding/crowning using a 12" disk sander.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100