A jig for ripping

I needed to rip some smaller boards (about 8") to a consistent width with a circular saw. Here's my solution:

A squared sideways J. The base is a piece of MDF, with a riser of MDF {the thickness of the MDF}+{the thickness of the board to be cut}+{about 1/16-

1/8"}. Another piece of MDF forms the hook of the J and the circular saw rides on that. That one is {final width}-{circular saw base to blade distance}+{MDF Thickness}. A stop is added at the end, it just has to be shorter than the thickness of the board.

Here's some ASCII Art:

[____] <- Circular saw base rides against this edge [] <- Clearance Space [] <- Board goes here, against edge ========[] <- Base

It worked great for cutting the box sides around my Cat O Lantern. My underpowered CNC needed 20 minutes to make the cuts while the saw did it in about 10 seconds.

Hm... Now that I think of it maybe I'll stick a spacer in there when I cut the top board. That will make it just slightly smaller than the other boards so it can be removed easily for access to the light.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Nice job!

Submit your jig/tip to Woodsmith magazine and maybe get up to $200. ;-)

DerbyDad03