A gentle reminder for "the season"

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:57:47 -0500, Silvan scribbled

Happy Solstice! Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Ah yes, Short Afternoon Disorder.

I'm with you on this one.

UA100, up far enough on the globe to see sunset at 4:19 but not as far up as Luigi...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Well said!

I AM a Christian, my family & I celebrate CHRISTmas and Easter. Yes, we celebrate by exchanging gifts, and yes, we spend money for them, but that spending is not the "reason for the season"!

It just so happens that my best friend is Jewish, and does NOT celebrate these holidays, but instead celebrates his Jewish holy days(BTW, if you consult Webster, several of the definitions of *holiday* are in reference to

*HOLY day*, so all you PC nuts out there better find a new word!). We frequently read our Bibles and pray together, honoring the similarities and respecting the differences, without trying to "ram" our own beliefs down others throats.

As long as I'm in *rant* mode . . . Something to really infuriate the PC nuts . . I volunteer in elementary school for said best friend, who teaches

2,3,4th grade spec. ed. kids with emotional problems. Every Monday morning before school a small group including the principal, my Jewish friend, a black woman, and me, meet in an empty classroom for about 15min. to talk and(heaven forbid) *PRAY* for a good week in teaching and that we may be guided & successful in helping the children.

Rant/off

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thank you, end of story.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Fine. Nothing illegal. Just don't force it on the kids, and you're in the clear.

Reply to
<null

The intolerance exhibited in this thread is staggering, but thankfully not universal.

You're right. It began with your original post. The thing about having a particular belief is that it isn't one if you don't believe in it. So what people like you are saying is it's ok if you have a belief as long as you aren't the sort of person who stands up for their beliefs. Don't practice it openly, don't profess it and don't believe in it enough to espouse it to those around you who may care about. I believe my beliefs are right.. that's why I believe in them. I believe my beliefs are best for me which equates to me believing they are the best for those around me. I understand you may not believe in my beliefs but do not make the mistake of believing I'm the sort of man who professes a belief but doesn't really believe in it.

Reply to
mel

Hey, this is a woodworking news group. Keep it on topic, like discussing Robin's butt.

Happy Winter Solstice to all you pagans out there.

In a very ecumenical action, my bicycling club held its "holiday" party this past weekend at Temple Israel.

Dick Durbin Celebrating Christmas in Tallahassee

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I'm down 32 pounds since June, although after this week (cookies, rum balls, blueberry and pumpkin pie, almond bark, truffles, nuts, alcoholic drinks, lemon cake, etc, etc) I've got to tip the scales. Happens every year, and difficult to stop!

Reply to
Phisherman

"and to date no one has been able to point this out to me in any of their books of gospel either"

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

Not trying to impose... just didn't want you going through life not having it pointed out...

Reply to
mel

Or Summer Solstice to antipodeans.

You Americans think there's only one hemisphere.

Reply to
George

Yabbut, there's lots of body parts and body functions to make up the difference.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Well, only one that is right side up. You guys are in big trouble if gravity fails for any reason. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're probably right, between the CRS and pain meds, I'v pretty much misplaced what I haven't already lost. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Reminds me of the line:

I want nothing to do with a god that gives men souls and denies them to dogs.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Well, well. I learn something new every day. Thanks mel.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Null.... you need to go suck a huskie !!

Reply to
Heldrw

Yeah, me too. I have a bad dickey do after all of SWMBO's cookies.

Reply to
Silvan

It was a good one ideed. Got up warm enough that I didn't even have to use my new heater! If that's a harbinger of what's to come with the onset of winter proper, I can live with it. (I rather suspect it isn't though.)

Reply to
Silvan

Ayup! I suffer from that ailment too.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Sorry to hear that! VBG!

Reply to
Rumpty

Actually that was out of context. Paul was writing to his fellow brethren in Rome instructing them on how to behave. Not offending your brother as mentioned in the text refers to brothers in Christ.

The very concept of Christianity is the most offensive religion to man. It's intended to be. It states that nothing man can do is worthy enough. It's the only religion that teaches man can't earn his way to heaven, that Jesus was necessary to take the place of man so that God's justice could be done. We believe that God being God could not overlook the sins of man and that he chose to assume the burden himself by sending in perfect son to die in our place. In simpler words.... you aren't and never will be good enough so that means you're stuck....no hope. Unless.....he fixes it for you.

Reply to
mel