A 20millionth use for a router??

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:27:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Surely there is no way this is a _cheap_ way to drill holes thoogh?

Reply to
Old Nick

Would have been a bit unwieldy since I got my bench tops pre-assembled and at 30" x 60", would have been quite a feat to run them across the DP.

Congrats, how's the bow saw coming?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Just a note on the level on the drill thing - you need to make sure that your workpiece is level before you start. DAMHIKT

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Very nice! Say, what kind of stain did you use to get the cherry to look like jarrah?

Ken Muldrew

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:54:41 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

Especially if it had the deep throat (4") mine has.

What you see is what you get.

I imagine that if I finished that bow saur, -many- of you would have heart attacks. I wouldn't want that...or would I? ;)

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:13:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) calmly ranted:

Careful, Ken. I might just tell Shrubby that you've got nukes. Thanks for the "Very nice!" comment, though. I added that triple sprung tether cord to the underside of the top so it holds itself in place in the most vertical position. It's more stable now.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You're welcome. Thanks for posting the pics. Do let us know how it works out in practice. I was carving some ball-and-claw feet over the weekend on a workmate and my back is killing me.

Ken Muldrew

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apricot oil?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:58:08 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

A sample of massage oil. I was going to order several gallons of it for my masseuse (from LoCal) as a barter product but she didn't go for it. It doesn't go rancid. I couldn't find the sample of walnut oil at the time and it sounded like it'd smell nice, so it got used. The Camellia oil was way too expensive for use there. Which reminds me that I haven't made a wick holder for it yet so I can oil my plane soles.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

???? Probably just teflon memory syndrome, I don't recall having read anything about oiling plane soles. Do you have a link to a picture of such a wick holder?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So does it smell nice?

Are there other properties it's supposed to have?

Chunk 'o canning wax has lasted for three years so far, and the box is still maybe 80% full.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:27:24 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Yeah, it has a light fragrance to it. And if you can talk someone into putting it on your neck and shoulders, it has both erotic and soothing/relaxing properties.

Hey, there's a thought for my new shop moniker:

The Erotic Woodworker.

Uh, since they come 4 sticks to a box, that'd be 75% full, right? ;) I've tried paraffin but didn't like it. Extra pieces went all over the place. I do like Johnson's wax on the soles, though. I wax all my planes during tuneup sessions. Some lasted over a year without any rust at all showing up, so I need to change frequencies.

Now that I'm back in the shop again, that shouldn't be a problem.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When you buy the last box in the store, you MAY find that there is ONE, rather irregular, somewhat misshapen lump in the box, with paper wedged in various parts. But it's wax. I used the finest hardware store house brand carpenter's chisel in my toolbox, and dislodged a chunk. The rest may get applied to snowboards, eventually.

The paraffin is one of those things I learned from previous generations. They just did it that way, and they did good work. I was enough of a smart-a$$ in my early years that I learned to budget my questions, when working with someone who really seemed to have all their ducks lined up, marching to John Phillip Souza...

I guess it's ham for the designated drivers, then. Enjoy your feasting, friends and family, as appropriate.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:29:21 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Yeah, I did that to mine on a fine 105F day in Vista, CA, too.

I prefer the oil or a coat of paste wax. Enjoy your canning. ;) My teacher (Jim Kingshott video) is an old-schooler, too.

Souza, eh? Too bad. I'd have preferred Glen Miller's Big Band. ;)

Your "learned to budget" phrase reminds me of a passage in "The Farthest Shore". (I'm reading Ursula LeGuin's novels right now, the Earthsea books, before the movie comes out in a couple weeks. She's no Larry Niven but her books are good, and quite enjoyable.)

"In Enlad," said Arren after a while, "we have a story about the boy whose schoolmaster was a stone." "Aye? ... What did he learn?" asked Sparrowhawk. "Not to ask questions."

I haven't eaten ham since my sister's ASU college biology class did their investigation in '72. They opened PRECOOKED canned ham and put thin slices under the microscope to find many lifing/moving lifeforms. That was enough for both of us to give up ham for good. Then again, I'll nuke the holy crap out of a slice of bacon once every year or three.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As in 'be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother...'

Enjoy your feast, even if it is nuts and berries, for we have much for which to be grateful.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:41:10 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

13 lb turkey (neighbor and I went shopping together, got free bird) Homemade giblet gravy (neighbor cookes/will make) Mrs. Cubbison's packaged stuffing in the turkey 2 lbs homemade sugarless cranberry sauce (I made that) French sourdough baguette garlic bread (I bought the bread/will make) lettuce, fresh mushrooms, canned olives, canned asparagus in salad sweet potatoes (also sugar-free, her dad is diabetic) sugar free Cheesecake (neighbor will make that)

I think I do OK as a single (hermit) person and I'll survive.