2000+ SF Home with 849 SF Shop For Sale, Mesa, AZ

My home is for sale. moving further East Mesa closer to work. Shop matches the house and is a nice size. About 26' by 32' deep. I had both a woodworking shop and metalworking shop in it. Nice Devilbiss 2 stage air compressor goes with it as well as a nice home made dust collection system. Large lot, nearly a half acre with flood irrigation. Interior of the home has been remodeled. Much more information:

at current appraisal of $405K

Some pics of the shop can be seen on my web page:

my agent for more information or further interest. Glenn Loper, let him know Marty referred you.

Marty Escarcega

Steve Decker

Damn, we must have gold plated sewer lines here in Houston/HI F**kingSD ... the taxes for ALL of 2004 on the above are less than I pay for ONE MONTH on

2800sf!!

... and his shop is TWICE the size of mine!

As they say, if there was logic in this world, it would have been the men who rode sidesaddle.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I left DFW after 13 years and moved to Denver in '98. My house size tripled but my house payment only went up by 50% or so. No it wasn't an ARM that was the contributing factor -- it was property taxes.

With no state income tax - the money's gotta come from somewhere.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

I welcome a state income tax providing the property tax goes ... at least that way you could hold elected politicians accountable for tax increases instead of a non-elected appraisal district which can effectively double your taxes every five years based on inflated appraisal rates.

Wanna bet I get NO more services in return for my 1300% higher taxes than that guy in AZ or, for that matter, a similar size house in Muleshoe, TX?

Reply to
Swingman

Accountable? Accountable to me means forcing someone to take responsibility and immediately act on that responsibility or out they go. When was the last time an elected politician was immediately accountable for some action or indiscretion? Only accountability that affects a politician is forcing him out during the next election if the notoriously short memories of the voters last that long.

Accountability in a politician? HAH!

Reply to
Upscale

responsibility

With the politician you have a chance at accountability, with the non-elected appraisal district you have absolutely none.

I would gladly pay my money and take my chances ... would beat the hell outta what goes down now.

Reply to
Swingman

You pay over $14k in taxes for a house in Houston? When I left Dallas 6 years ago, I was only paying $2700 for 1 year on a 1600 SF home.

If anybody buys that house at $405k, the property taxes aren't going to be what is currently being paid -- In AZ they can't tax on speculative value of the property, but if the house sells for $405k, it will be appraised there, and the new owner is going to be paying significantly more. I'm too tired to look it up, but let me put it this way, don't think that just because there is *also* a state income tax that property taxes are much lower than in states with no state income tax.

Mark & Juanita

Jeez. Those taxes just choke me up. I've got a small frame house 1200 SF) on just under 2 acres. Small frame shop (also 1200 SF). Lessee. 65' x 15' storage shed for mowers and crap like that. Taxes? I've been bitching because this year they'll hit $600. The rise is going to be continuous and fast, though. Too many new services. The area is no longer truly rural, shifting to upscale suburban (cheapest new house now goes for about 150K, but lakeside stuff is on the high side of a million bucks).

If taxes rise too much, we'll sell out and move further into the mountains.

Reply to
Charlie Self

G'day all, I gather by "Taxes" you are referring to what we in Oz call "Rates". These are imposed by the local council. In Kalgoorlie I have a 1/4 acre block with a 4 bedroom 1 study home along with the shed and am paying just over $1000.00 per year in Council Rates. The State obtains it's revenue by collecting land tax, Vehicle registration, Driver's licences and a 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on almost every item purchased and every service paid for. plus a myriad of other hidden levies. At least when I'm on my death bed I can feel good about keeping a bloody politician in wages. :) Regards John

Reply to
John B

That's nothing (apologies to Monty Python). I have 1/6 acre in Southern England with a medium-sized 3-bedroom detached house. I pay 1400 GBP (multiply by 1.75 for USD) in local taxes plus 70 quid for water and 170 quid for sewage. VAT is 17.5% (Timber isn't cheap, either!)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Just at ... appraisal's have been rising for the past ten years until they are now punishing to the point that private property is no longer, in essence, "private" ... it belongs to the state ... as in the penalty/punishment for failing to pay after the due date was recently set at $1,000/day..

To cap it off, you should see the mutil-story Taj Mahal the Harris County Appraisal District has built for itself with these revenues.

That's a possibility, but it is frightening to consider that someone actually thinks the average American with a property tax burden based on unrealistic, soaring real estate values could afford both.

I pay taxes, obviously lots of taxes (over 50% of those taxes go to a school district which is bogged down in a top heavy administration educated beyond its intelligence, racism, rampant cheating, and bi-lingual bullshit) ... I just don't like paying more for the _same_, or in the case of the HISD, better service elsewhere, that cost someone else far less because of location in the same state.

Back on topic, I was going to replace my old shop building with a new one this year. But after running the figures, it is not worth the added increase in property taxes ... to me its a cryin' damn shame that even enters the equation.

Reply to
Swingman

Wow. Can't imagine how anyone could afford house payments and taxes that are nearly equivalent -- Actually, my mortgage payment is less than $1k per month.

You have filed homestead exemption haven't you?

Mark & Juanita

Of course ...

Property taxes hereabouts have increased 150% in the past ten years, 100% in the past seven. The bastards are clever ... they've worked it where it's hard to finger a single factor/culprit, otherwise there would be blood running in the streets about now.

Never saw much point in retiring and it's a damn good thing ... especially now that you've got to work harder in your 60's than you did at 40 just to pay the burgeoning cost of local government.

Reply to
Swingman

property taxes are $8200 for 2200 sf 1/2 acre property 20 year old home. Some towns are getting as much as $18,000 (yes that's per calader year) for same sf home with half to full acre of land. I need to get out of this state.....

Reply to
dteckie

Man, I don't pay $18,000 a year in all taxes! My income is well over $50k and my house just appraised at $325k. I could never afford a house if my property taxes were $1500 a month.

I live in a Minneapolis, MN suburb and my property taxes are $2800 this year. Too many people complained about property taxes so the state changed school funding about six years ago. On the old plan my taxes would probably be $3600 to $4000.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Yes you do, that $18,000 would cover 1/2 a decade here in the Chicago burbs.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but how's the car insurance rates in the Garden State?

jlc

Reply to
Joe C

I had the same thought. My mortgage is less than $1K/month too. But then I have a tiny little house with a tiny little shop and tiny little tools. D*mnit.

Reply to
AL

I would agree. If Politicians were truly held accountable, then, we would likely not have the 95% or so reelection rate that we do have. Also, perhaps there would be fewer laws that are focused purely on either increasing the power that the politicians have over us; the amount of cash they can suck out of our pockets; or sweetheart deals for their buddies. For what it is worth, about the last bit of woodworking I have managed to do recently is to glue up some support blocks out of 2x6 stock, to raise up the truck for clearance to make it easier to put in a new clutch fork. Seems that the penny-pinching at Ford in 1999 had ended up with a rash of lightly made forks that had a nasty tendency to break. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt