Subject Author Posted Replies

Iceland 10% off
well had to use the barcode on the app on an android phone to get the 10% off this morning so there
3
3

RCD Tripping
I have an RCD for the upstairs ring and a separate one for the downstairs ring. Lights, oven, boiler are on their own fused circuits. The downstairs RCD tripped three times yesterday morning but I...
13
13

Clamp for washing-line post
The houses here have concrete posts for the clothes line. They're about 2m to the cross-rods for the line (and about 75 years old and in good condition). The line is too high for most people (I'm...
17
17

v for frequency?
Since when did we start using v for frequency? v is velocity, f is frequency, lambda is wavelength. Using v for frequency is pure insanity....
1214
1214

Semi-Seized Tap Cartridge
Hi Fellow DIYers I have a monobloc-style mixer tap with two quarter turn taps. The cold tap is stiff-to-seized. My thoughts are that this is limescale as we are is a pretty hard water area - East...
7
7

Take your pick
does anybody remember the young girl who turned down a scooter to open box 13 only to win a holidwy to a place that held memories but she was too young to have a place like that and they gave her the...
9
9

Heat pumps - ThisIsMoney
<>Seems mainly the usual "oh, the horror" followed by inconvenient facts. Heap pumps can fail to heat your home: (1) if it poorly insulated (2) if the radiators are under sized This comes under the...
202
202

'New' PC losing time when powered down and how to refrsh recovery partition
Made an on-the-spur visit to Chichester yesterday and had a browse round the BHF shop. It's huge, I seem to recollect it was a Waitrose 45 years ago. The electrical section had the usual collection of...
30
30

OT: Suspicious transaction on current account
I noticed a payment to Google for advertising, this clearly was an unsolicited payment. I have had a lot of mailshots from Google recently, showing up on my phone, but I have no payment details at all...
8
8

OT: buying a car remotely
SWMBO has been looking for a 4WD Skoda Yeti but can't find anything around our "patch" that's worth buying. Several promising cars appear in adverts but are too far away to look at, so remote purchase...
52
52

Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!
I've had a Rapesco 181el nail gun for years and, although it's needed a couple of repairs, it has been great. The only real gripe is the need for a mains supply and that it's hard to get up close to a...
4
4

Woodburner soot
Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your fuel or combustion? I swept my chimney the other day and the soot wasn’t fine black dust but rather coarser gritty brownish...
10
10

Screwfix app
Placed an order online to collect from Screwfix when they reckoned that collection would be speeded up if I used 'the app.' Intrigued by this, I installed the app and logged into it. When I looked at...
4
4

Plasterboard hollow wall fixings
Can anyone recommend a plasterboard fixing which has a very low profile inside the wall? I want to hang a picture hook in a spot behind which a sliding door, er, slides. I don't know the exact...
34
34

Surge protector is a lie?
I have a Micromark surge protector. Just a plug (not as in to connect an appliance, it just plugs into a socket to absorb surges, no cable comes out of it). I was interested in the LED on the front...
37
37