Subject Author Posted Replies

“I will secure the line”
When dealing with large organisations, when you are on the phone and are about to give your card details, they sometimes say they will secure the line. What can they possibly be doing? Are they able...
7
7

Calling all deaf people - 4500 Watt wireless speaker
Wow £2,450 for a single wireless speaker, all 4500 watts. That must make heating unnecessary too. " Phantom Premier obliterates all existing home sound systems.", is that because it knocks the walls...
34
34

how far after the Audi A4 fuel light comes on?
Due to a series of events yesterday I had to travel 76 miles after the fuel light came on in my 14 year old Audi A4 1.9 tdi estate. I was pulling a trailer with about 150kg in it. Can anyone beat...
23
23

A loft query
Back when I could see, I put dense chipboard down along the middle to the water tank and taps from the top of the loft ladder, however since then the loft has been re insulated. I now find that the...
4
4

Virgin Media local telephones status?
I have been speaking to Virgin Media Customer Service and to VM complaints this morning, using BT POTS at my end. I understand that there is a local (I am in KT3, New Malden) telephone system fault...
6
6

Flooring a loft with chipboard loft boards
I need to extend the floored area of my loft. The loft consists of trusses supporting the roof which is quite a low pitch so you cannot stand up in it. Previously I attached 3 X 2 cross members to the...
9
9

Shower Waste Trap - Not low profile
Needing to exit waste through a joist 4inches below its top face (centre of joist). Most traps seem to be low profile where the centre of the waste outlet is as high as possible. I want to minimise...
1
1

Hole in joist - at an angle?
I've dug more stuff out of the stash and found a right angle adaptor and a cut down 25mm spade bit. However I am having difficulty making any headway through the joist, I think mainly due to the...
35
35

floorboards to replace 22mm chipboard
Hello, The previous owner of my house had a loft conversion done and they used 22mm chipboard for flooring. There are two places where the chipboard has cracked so I need to replace the broken...
20
20

Temperature measurement stability long term?
Much has been written re the long term temp variation of the climate but as it appears were talking about around 1 deg C change over quite a long time, pre industrial era, just how absolute accurate...
4
4

Waiting to get through - then idiot mode
I'm supposed to have a good clear speaking accent, but I'm sometimes turn into a complete gibbering idiot, by waiting to speak. I have in mind those occasions where you ring a company and have a...
18
18

Making a marble garden table.
Since te X Ffed off with all te decant patio furniuter - bitch - I need a gardene table ... Ive got lods of 12mm marble sheet. I also have a marble coffee table that survive the winter well and...
17
17

DIY laptop swap.
JFI. Bought a s/h motherboard for my broken Yoga S1 (i5 cpu) on Monday. Swapped it today when it arrived in the post. I had used the hard drive in something else so I swapped the HD out of a machine...
4
4

Puzzling LED behaviour
We have an en suite which uses three mains GU10 fittings (probably at least a dozen years old). One over the shower is IP65, and is switched separately from the other two, which are ordinary fittings....
16
16

Hole in joist (different query) - 2.5mm T&E
I'm just getting back into the DIY mind set and rooting around in the shed to dig stuff out of my stash. I'm extending the 13A ring in the 3rd bedroom/office, and need to run two 2.5mm T&E wires...
4
4