Subject Author Posted Replies

Ping Brian Gaff
Hi Brian, On my recent post on the cheap car head unit, you suggested using capacitors in series (or dearies / desires as my spill chucker had it). How would these be used? TIA Chris
7
7

OT: small modular reactors
This isn't a bad summary of the current position 's the last in a six part series, the others may be of interest to some too. This is the sixth and final installment in a series. To read from the...
2
2

Ebay returns rant.....
....And a heads up. Received an item, it doesn't fit, ie. it's incorrect. So i've tried to return it through ebay's process and selected 'it doesn't fit'.[1] Ebay were trying to charge me postage, I...
16
16

bargain: AoE 3rd Ed discounted on Amazon UK
A heads up for the heavy read electronics types, Hardcover, sold direct from Amazon, £23.50 You Save: £42.49 (64%) I had the first edition at college, and sold it on to a new student. Second edition...
11
11

OT Batteries for renewable energy.
French oil giant Total and European automaker Opel will collaborate on EV cell manufacturing as the global race for battery factories heats up.
3
3

Why doesn't everything use solid aluminium capacitors?
Motherboards used them over a decade ago, so why do I still find leaking electrolytics in TVs? Earlier this week, Gigabyte launched a full range of its 945 series all-solid capacitor motherboards,...
14
14

Stormy day, all interconnectors are on 'import'
Although the wind always blows somewhere, it isn't always the right wind in the right place at the right time. With demand at 1030 of ~33GW, wind is producing only 9GW, but all the interconnectors are...
14
14

Storage: which kind of Bags
Having a lot of stored Junk, we have the problem of bringing it down a ladder and sorting it and then putting some back. Supermarket plastic carrier bags were good for storage and very handy to carry...
16
16

Yet another smart meter question
I'm being continually bombarded by letters and phone calls from both my gas and electricity suppliers to install second generation smart meters. I'm reluctant to get one for my electricity, as I...
158
158

Forte Agent Usenet Reader
Are there any knowlegeable Agent users on this NG? I've done something to Agent that causes it to display all messages as single messages and not shown in message threads. The built in Help has little...
6
6

OT Additional HVDC link.
Viking Link will support the integration of renewable energy sources into the power grid and will boost power-supply reliability and security to consumers in both countries
28
28

Driving at night
Night driving is made harder by: People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights. Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air. Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the...
125
125

On one PC, Windows 7 to Windows 10 update fails at 'fetching updates: 46%'. What to do next?
I have been trying to update a neighbour's PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10, using . I have tried the "direct" method in her abode, using her Virgin Media Internet service. I have tried the "direct"...
21
21

Induction motors
What is the power difference approximately between a 700w motor and a 550w induction motor in a pillar drill ?
8
8

TNP? Gluing magets to ali
Might be one for TNP as he knows about epoxy (hi ) Best glue for shiny neodymium magnet disc (5p sized) to plain ali? Epoxy or hotglue. Or something else? I'm aware ali can be awkward due to...
5
5