Subject Author Posted Replies

Mains broadband
I have an outside workshop/office that I ran some cat5 cable to some years ago. This link is now playing up a bit - intermittent - and I have been looking at replacing the cable, which I know has...
61
61

[OT] Brain lateralisation - Remind you of anyone?
"Depression is linked with a hyperactive right hemisphere, with evidence of selective involvement in processing negative emotions, pessimistic thoughts and unconstructive thinking styles".
7
7

Spindle lock.
How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when you switch on?
6
6

Another thing about electric cars
Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's another variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive without the headlamps on? etc etc. Bill
304
304

Pop up waste
My bathroom was recently refitted and the basin has a popup waste. The tap - with aeriator pours down onto the dome of the waste. I often find the basin behaves as though the waste is bloched - but it...
11
11

How to find north?
How can I find true north from my house? I tried with my phone a few years ago and got different readings on different days Are some apps better than others? How accurate would a Silva compass be, and...
54
54

?Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche??
??Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche???? A Kent couple love their new car ??? but their experience suggests there are problems with the charging network Linda...
52
52

Looking for shower waste seal/washer
It's to fit between the trap and the grill that the water goes down in the shower tray. The old one looks like it was made of soft silicon, it's 10cm in diameter with a 5cm hole and has lots of...

OT Hisense and TCL tv
Hi all Anyone any experience of Hisense or HCL TVs? I went to Costco this morning to get an LG TV and saw QLED versions of both the above on display. The picture looked great and seemed cheaper too....
39
39

Monitoring electricity consumption
bought one of these to monitor the electric consumption of the electric car I recently purchased. The car isn't seeing much use so it only goes on charge about once week. I keep a note of the distance...
17
17

Simple measuring of an alcove, etc.
Years ago, I had a tape measure with a lead and or scriber on the back of the housing. To fit, say, a shelf to an alcove, you merely extended the tape measure within the alcove, locked it, and...
23
23

cutting aluminium with a jig saw
I've never had a problem with 3mm sheet, using a fine blade, maximum 'attack', and maybe running the machine at about half speed. But cutting some 5mm stuff the metal was softening and clogging the...
4
4

What does CBB61 mean?
I'm ordering some caps so I can vary the speed of an extractor and see that they are sold as "CBB61", but I can't find what this refers to. Can anyone enlighten my darkness?
3
3

RUST CLEANING
you get over his voice he talks a lot of sense about small engines etc Forget all those commercial rust remover products for cleaning your parts and tools. You will not believe what everyday household...

Rejuvenating nicads
Anyone tried rejuvenating nicads by putting them in a freezer for a couple of hours to remove the memory effect? Some webpages also recommend tapping the frozen cells for a minute or two to break up...
27
27