Subject Author Posted Replies

Who asked about lightening and disconnecting TV aerials?
Just I have in my hand a 1964 copy of Aerial Handbook. And it has this to say we need Bill's opinion. File:Aerialhandbook.jpg - DIYWiki
43
43

Baxi Brazilia puzzle
We have a Baxi Brazilia heater. basic. Wall mounted, room sealed, balanced flue, spark igniter, no thermocouple, dead reliable. Well that is until last week. I lit it, it ran for a while (maybe 10-20...
19
19

Dremel for sharpening hedge clippers
In the past I have used an angle grinder to sharpen powered hedge clippers. Does the job but can be a but fierce. Would a dremel or alternative do the job?
3
3

Whatsapp problem
Two of us have had to repeatedly reload WhatsApp since the Facebook etc outage. It has loaded with slight difficulty, but then worked OK until the PC is turned off. It isn't there next time. But...
5
5

Thunderbird tart up.
My efforts over the last few days to make the new thunderbird 78 an acceptable platform are available here. need to unzip that - it contains the directory - 'chrome' in your thunderbird profile...

Where to buy "non ionic surfactant" for DIY cleaning products
Many cleaning products I buy are just small quantites of cheap chemicals. I could easily make them up myself, but one ingredient I don't know how to get is "non ionic surfactant". Does anyone know...
9
9

OT: Colour laser printer for domestic use
Getting very fed up with our jet ink printers, we just don?t do enough colour printing to avoid cartridges gumming occasionally. My B/W laser is dead reliable. Could I expect similar reliability from...
25
25

Clear out!
I'm having a tidy up and can't decide whether to chuck some stuff or stick it in the eaves in case it ever comes in. I feel like chucking would be good for the soul. I appear to have kept every wall...
42
42

winterising 2 stroke engines
I've seen 3 suggestions. 1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season. 2/Use a fuel stabiliser. 3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb...
16
16

Foam guns.
Never had one before. Haveused hand held cans. This? Faithfull FAIFOAMGUNNS Heavy Duty Foam Gun Full Non Stick Body
19
19

EPS and foam filler.
Is there any particular type of foam filler suitable for sealing gaps at the edge of EPS sheets (e.j. Jablite)? Which?

Artificial lightning zaps farm stink
Artificial lightning zaps farm stink By Roger Harrabin, 10/8/21, BBC News Tests in the UK have shown that artificial lightning can strip pollutants from animal manure. The technology entails firing a...

Biodiversity loss risks 'ecological meltdown' - scientists
Biodiversity loss risks 'ecological meltdown' - scientists By Helen Briggs, 10/10/21, BBC News The UK is one of the world's most nature-depleted countries - in the bottom 10% globally & last among the...

Gas prices skyrocket as the global energy crisis worsens
Gas prices skyrocket as the global energy crisis worsens By Matt Egan, CNN Business, Oct 11, 2021 New York (CNN Business) The cost of energy was dirt cheap in the spring of 2020 as roads and airports...

Defrost timer question - knobs
Sorry to belabour this issue. I have located a source of a timer with the same model number as mine, 1415435. The odd thing is that the shop has two timers with this model number, identical except for...
9
9