Domain Name renewal - costs!

Just paid about £80 to renew 4 domains for 1 year.

I think I previously renewed them for 5 years or more for not very much per year.

Putting this here as a placeholder, but if anyone knows of a good/cheap/ reliable domain name management service I would love to hear from them.

These have been with FreeParking for many years, but times change.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

if you mean purely for domain registration (no web/mail hosting) you're paying double the going rate ... AWS about 9 dollars+vat/year

Reply to
Andy Burns

or £10/year (no vat) for domains.google.com

Reply to
John Rumm

There is no point quoting all these prices without knowing which top level domains they're in (.com, .uk, .whatever). The price of domains can vary from .shop (for $0.49) to .hoteles (for $68250.67), according to:

What's 'cheap' or 'expensive' depends what you're trying to buy - there's no comparison from one TLD to another.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

3 in .co.uk and one in .org.uk

Thanks for the responses so far.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

.uk domains ought to be fairly cheap, anything administered by ICANN (e.g. .com) tend to be more expensive. When I first leased jretrading.com it was £17.50 p.a., when a .co.uk was £5 p.a. both through the same UK domain host. I also have my surname as a .com (yes, I know I shouldn't) as my wife was complaining about giving her email address to friends, when it was jretradingltd.demon.co.uk.

The Bishop of Brentwood ordered his staff to change ISP when he found the domain ended in .demon.co.uk...

Reply to
Joe

google prices are the same for most TLDs - although note that there are some they don't sell at all.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message snipped-for-privacy@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe snipped-for-privacy@jretrading.com writes

Ha! Following the demise of .demon my Namesco account begins with treble

6:-) >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Chaning domains is a devil of a job! :-)

Reply to
SH

My audiologist din't think that my demon address was totally appropriate. I suggested to her that those with virgin as their ISP didn't imply anything either.

Reply to
charles

plus VAT, but still marginally cheaper than amazon or google

Reply to
Andy Burns

The grapevine suggests that costs rise when interest in a particular domain name or range of names is high. Maybe somebody wants that domain and is willing to pay more for it than you are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I recall there were some so-called domain search engines that would automatically register names that you searched, so you had to buy from them at inflated prices. Presumably they had negotiated discounts for bulk registration so it cost little to register all the domains.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They probably still exist. Either use a well-known hosting company for your enquiry (e.g. TSOhosts or GoDaddy) or use whois, either from the Linux command line (Windows doesn't have it) or a major whois website e.g.

or

Joe

Not so sure that "domain tasting" still exists, the bulk registrars could register domains for a few days, then cancel them without having to pay, during that time they could stick it on a server, see how much traffic it got, decide to bin it or buy it hoping to sell the good ones ...

Apparently it does still exist, but there is a small fee for the tasting period, so it's way down on what it used to be, also google watch out for it and drop tasted domains down the ranking ...

Reply to
Andy Burns