Subject Author Posted Replies

Lodger vs Bed and Breakfast Guest
I'm finding it quite difficult to determine the difference between making your home available to a lodger and making your home available for bed and breakfast. And what is a paying guest? Taking in a...
9
9

Rechargeable batteries
I do not give Xmas presents and still I receive some from my family. Now the grandfather opened one present from 2011. It is called ELECTRO CHALLENGE: I will use its contacts to make a testbed for my...
28
28

Instantaneous Hot water type kettle things
Modern consumer grade ones probably won't; I have direct experience of the crap that's now made with good names on them.
15
15

Are spammers monitoing here?
Interesting that there have been a spate of emails like this one of late. No real problem but it just seems strange. Must be getting desperate! Dear Parter, I am Glad to contact with you. We are...
7
7

Follow Up : Broadband Speed Test
OK after several days of snails pace Broadband (0.11 Mb/sec download) I am back up to speed. In summary: a/ I have building works going on resulting in the hub being powered down and / or the line...
9
9

Remote controlled sockets instead of low level lighting circuit. Recommendations?
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous...
22
22

Time to think of holidays?
16
16

Oil points on lathe
They are grease nipples, not for oil.
36
36

OT Sarah Millican
Is there a more annoying voice owned by a less funny "comedian" on any television channel in the UK?
58
58

Central Heating Control approaches for replacement gas boiler installation
tat in each room. TRVs control the water return temp, not the room temp, th= ey can only improve things some. ld pay back well over time in a house where room temps vary noticeably betw= een rooms. l...
11
11

Christmas tree unlighting
In message , Broadback writes I believe it's only flashing blue lights that are forbidden. Can I add that those 'modern' strings of all-white fairy lights - and even more so, the deep blue - look...
26
26

Seeking advice: repairing a rice cooker
'kinell, 18 minutes... 10 minutes.... pans/water etc, sod that. Remove packet from cupboard, tear 2cm slit in top (it does make a nice bang at about 1 minute 40 when you forget this step :), bung in...
35
35

Install memory in Dell Latitude E5500 w/o angle grinder
Do you think these are all ex stealth fighter designers who lost eheir jobsand designed this on the rebound, or just bloody minded 'my IQ is the size of a planet' types? Brian
5
5

CCTV questions
There is indeed ICO guidance for private CCTV. There are limitations on use and distribution. Not that it bothered the police who came round yesterday to ask if I'd seen anything when a neighbour's...
17
17

Name That Tune (Film)
The James Taylor version of 'Handy Man' once appeared in a film. Its driving me round the twist but I cannot source the title of the film. Can anyone help ?
6
6