Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting plastered wall.
Just stripped some paper off a wall to reveal some nice grey plaster. I know I have to wash it down otherwise the paste will affect the paint. Any tips on the best thing? Just water? Sugar soap?...
9
9

Galvanised conduit
Does anyone know if 20mm galvanised conduit tube is 20mm outside or inside diameter? Grateful for advice.
2
2

Bleeding a rad every day?
I fitted a new radiator in the house before Xmas, which necessitated a drain down of my CH system. No problem with that; however ever since then we've been disturbed almost every morning by horrendous...
12
12

Cannon Oxford cooker
The oven and all four hotplates light instantly. But the grill on this gas cooker doesn't ignite properly. The spark at the electrode looks fine; 5mm plus. New battery fitted. There doesn't seem to be...
7
7

Door switch(s) on Hotpoint Fridge Freezer
The whole door seal will be a magnet. Try running a magnet around the doorframe instead.
3
3

best way of removing ceramic tile glue from wall
Our kitchen is being stripped out and refitted. In preparation for this I'm currently hacking the ceramic tiles from the wall. Whoever fitted them used large quantities of glue. What's the best way of...
11
11

Great LED bulb ...
... if you haven't got any kids who'd poke knitting needles into the holes, or unfold the origami bulb and re-fold it inside-out with all the electronics exposed ...
17
17

OT: Electric Blanket with Memory Foam Mattresses
Has anyone got any real experience of using electric under-blankets with memory foam mattresses? I ask because the jury seems to be out on the subject i.e. some say yes and some say no. Most...
5
5

radio 4 costing the earth / germany energy policy
Interesting programme on radio 4 just now about windmills, nuclear and Germany's energy policy. Available on iplayer I guess. Simon.
28
28

another turbine bites the dust.
's the champagne? Find all the latest news on the environment and climate change from the Telegraph. Including daily emissions and pollution data.
40
40

Wolf oscillating mult tool
Hi hope you can help, i have been given a Wolf Oscillating Multi Tool but hte blades etc are on their last legs. i have seen on e bay many people offering blades etc but the fitting seems to be...
6
6

Drop in water mains pressure
Had to have the old (combi) boiler replaced. New boiler required an upgrade to the gas supply, so decided to have it installed at the opposite side of the house (in the garage) as upgrading the old...
10
10

Phones for very small office
A friend has asked about the best way to change all the 3 phones in her small office so that they can be used with headsets, but also with some sort of easy way for a young person on work experience...
6
6

German Nuclear fuel tax 'formally unconstitutional'
"Germany's tax on nuclear fuel was designed 'to siphon off the profits of the nuclear power plant operators', judges in Hamburg have ruled. The tax exceeds government competence and contradicts the...
11
11

OT: Too windy?
the specs for the thing at the end. don't remember it being particularly windy last night... Bishop Aukland isn't that far away and we are considerably more exposed.
2
2