water softners.

like most of us i live in a hard water area. the mrs is swedish and is used to soft water and has been quizing me about a water softener as she thinks it should (in the long term) work out eccomicly better to have one than buy descaler stuff for the washing machine &c. do any of you guys have any experience with them and know what is involved in installing one, which ones are good, how much they cost and any advice?

i figured seeing as i have the outside tap to install, i could do both jobs at the same time.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

I have a Twintec two-tower, water-powered system, so it regenerates according to the water used, no interruption while it does its thing, and needs no electrical power. Absolutely love it. It uses block salt, and sits in a spot that would be impossible for sensible use of a granule system. I think that in the world of water softeners, you get what you pay for, buying cheap is really silly. Our dishwasher uses unsoftened water, due to piping runs, and Fairy Platinum tablets are good enough to keep it clean and clear. My area's water is described as "Very Hard", in East Anglia. The clothes washer uses softened water, so is already taken care of.

Reply to
Davey

i'll go and check out the twintec now. thanks.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

fitted one here salttype 25kg of salt a moth, cost about £8 these days.

purchase cost around 600 notes,. fits in a standard unit under a worktop. needs a 13A socket to run.

simply goes between incoming main after stopcock and all the house supply EXCEPT the garden hose and kitchen tap which are taken off before hand.

has given no trouble whatsoever in 12 years.

well worth the expense IMHO

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be warned, it's pricy, but to me, it's worth it. But also see if others have recommendations, when this was last discussed, there were lots of different opinions. Mine replaced a terrible Calgon unit, whiuch had just gunged itself into immobility.

Reply to
Davey

thanks. i'll have a look into that. i have a handy socket which makes it a simple install.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

to my mind it makes sence to have as there are 6 of us and that's a lot of showers and washing loads and dishwasher use. pluss in october we'll be for an unspecified time having the mrs brother, wife and 3 kids staying while they look for a place over here (they're moving over from spain).

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

I hope you have a palace to house that lot!

Reply to
Davey