Subject Author Posted Replies

Oven thermometers
We think our oven is running cooler than the temperature dial indicates. The oven thermometer seems to agree. However, how accurate are oven thermometers? Ours is an analogue one - presumably some...
16
16

I have been told to grow up and act my age (again).
So where does that leave me and what am I supposed to do now? How do you act your age?
36
36

angle grinder discs
I was looking at these to cut a few paving slabs, I have already used some cheap ones I bought out of poundies and they done the job ok. The ones below (link) are diamond tipped but my concern is the...
7
7

OT:Virgin media support
I was getting loads of errors "441 Posting Failed. None of the groups to which the article was posted are valid. E1" trying to post to various newsgroups last week. So I thought I'd post in Virgins...
29
29

Dripping tap
A while ago a tap was dripping so I changed the washer. It stopped dripping but started again after a few months. The washer was changed again and it stopped again. After another few months it has...
5
5

Security camera recorder vulnerability
A heads-up for anyone using popular security camera recorders (Swann and the like) that they should disconnect them from the network, pending firmware updates from all the manufacturers...
9
9

Bottle air vents
Today I noticed that I had a leak from the bottle vent in the hot water circuit. Looked up a new one on Sfx ( ). Very poor reviews but options are pretty limited on a Sunday so it was that or let it...
2
2

OT: recommended scanner->PDF software?
I've recently acquired an old Kodak i30 sheetfed scanner, with a view to being able to chuck multiple-page documents at it and collect a PDF file at the other end. In other words, very straightforward...
14
14

Awful DIY advice
Was just leafing through the Dorling Kindersley DIY bible, "DIY Know-How With Show-How", and came across this item [1] on taking power to an outbuilding. Am I losing the plot or is this terrible...
23
23

Vertical blinds fixing.
I've a new extension and was thinking about vertical blinds for the windows. How are they normally fixed? The top of the reveal is a steel cavity lintel with a render/plaster skim. The window is pvc.,...
12
12

OT: Favourite OT Subject - US may face inevitable nuclear power exit
As nuclear power seems to be the favourite OT subject around these parts ;) US may face inevitable nuclear power exit...
12
12

Flimsy Boiler Pressure Relief Valve
I have a combi boiler: Chaffoteaux Minima MX2. A few days ago water started leaking from the PRV. It was leaking from the seat and from the side where the discharge pipe is connected via a 15mm tap...
4
4

Hotpoint dishwasher question
A friend just got a second-hand Hotpoint dishwasher (First Edition DW21P). Doesn't look to have been used much, quite clean all around. I called around to plumb it in. I ran it through a cycle, but...
3
3

Cable gland confusion
I'm putting together an order for PVC conduit and the array of glands confuses me. For instance how would this gland be used? It doesn't seem to be related to a particular conduit size unlike and Alex
21
21

Outdoor lights
Just been reading previous posts re outdoor lights and whether halogen or whatever, is there any reason why I cant (or shouldnt) use and outdoor fitting with normal (household type) bulbs in them I...
9
9