Collectors

I've heard of people collecting bricks, but this collection is even odder.

RETIRED Richard Jones has it nailed on for what may be the world?s most boring collection - more than 3,000 nails.

Reply to
Artic

I don't think it's any any odder than collecting, say, butterflies and I for one would find it more interesting to look through. But, and this what I find odd about any narrow hobby (or area of study/academia), I can't understand being so thoroughly absorbed by a single area. Mind you, I have a broad range of interests but lack depth in (m)any of them which will no doubt prevent me becoming a useful "expert" in anything and keep me a Jack of all trades.

Reply to
Scott M

The used to be a museum for just barbed wire. Somebody should collect these things - they are useful for estimating the dates of artefacts. My house was built in the 1850s when nails were very expensive in NZ since they had to be imported from the other side of the world. We had plenty of trees and still have. The wall studs in my house are mortice-and-tenoned into the plates and are held there with one expensive nail. I have hundreds of square nails from the parts of the house that needed to be rebuilt.

Reply to
Matty F

I've met the gentleman during my many travels around the country, and he certainly isn't 'boring' or 'odd' in his personality - and his collection of old woodworking tools is something to be seen and drooled over as well.

And with him being an old, time served joiner by trade, you can see some of his work in the background.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Cash scribbled...

Have you met the bloke who collects vacuum cleaners in Port Talbot ?

Reply to
Artic

Well, interesting. The point about collecting is that you would often be amazed at the number of different types of things we call mundane everyday objects. When I was young I collected batteries, sadly their chemical internals conspired against its longevity... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These are from the 1930s, occasionally they do last:

NT

Reply to
meow2222

s.

You wouldn't want to collect piles of them or you would become known as an Accumulator.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribbled...

That would shock visitors.

Reply to
Artic

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:13:44 +0100, Artic > as an Accumulator.

For some it would be terminal.

Reply to
Paul Herber

I've heard that we used to have someone work here back in the early 70s tha t used to collect dust from around the lab, bagged it, dated it, and stored it. Some became worried so told admin of their concerns but they assured t hem that I'd be OK just to ignore it, then a few years later he ended up i n hospital with a brain tumour. I'm convinced that's what admin does to people. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

+1
Reply to
Peter Crosland

AAMOI The original phrase Jack of all Trades wasn't derogatory, the Master of None bit was added later.

"Jack of all trades, master of none,

Certainly better than a master of one"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't know is the expression "dead as a doornail" is used in NZ, but it's origin seems to be that doornails where hammered over inside the door to prevent them being pulled out & stolen - nails being hand made & very expensive in times gone by.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are you positive?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'll get your coat.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Artic > > odder.

No but I met a bloke in Tunstall who collected chimney pots

Reply to
bert

I suspect that the practice of clenching the nails had more to do with the fact that, by holding the vertical and horizontal timbers securely together, it made the door more resistant to being hacked at with a weapon.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:21:12 +0100, Artic

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Huge