Subject Author Posted Replies

Block paving for a driveway
Any views on the quality of the various different types of block on the market? In particular, I have been quoted for Marshal's "Drivesett Tegula Original Block Paving" and "Driveline 50 Block Paving....
9
9

What kind of bathroom flooring to put over floor boards?
I need a proper waterproof floor in my bathroom - old cork tiles clapped out. It's on the 2nd floor and has floorboards, so not a very even surface. Floorboards are old and have gaps in between them....
22
22

Recommend a good value blow torch with a pencil flame
What's a good cheaper blow torch for occasional use removing heads from golf shafts? Must have a pencil flame to target the heat. I've been looking at the Camping Gaz models and the Bernzomatic ones....
7
7

splitting / cutting hardwood logs
I got some mixed hardwood kiln dried logs to add to my smokeless (!) fuel f ire for some Christmas spirit. They are a bit large for my 16" fireplace an d might flame up scarily, so they need reducing....
41
41

Well, that was not expected
Gas board have had the entire street dug up laying a replacement gas main, to replace the original one which is rusting and leaking. They have been causing chaos for a couple of weeks now and expect...
16
16

Completely OT but cool
:) Can't think of a use DIY related though. You should be able to tell if its too windy to go on the roof by looking out the window. :) See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as...
5
5

Poxy metal ceiling rose
Daughter in law has bought some crazy light fitting that she would like put up before Xmas. It comes with a metal strip to fix to the ceiling and a couple of grub screws for attaching the actual rose....
12
12

OT: recommendations for car breakdown cover?
Was about to sign up for AutoAid as recommended by MSE until I realised it only covers married couples/ civil partners and not cohabiting (you'd think 25 years would count for something?) Rescuemycar...
25
25

capped-off 8mm gas pipe
I'm wondering what most people would consider safe in respect of a length o f gas pipe left projecting into a decommissioned fire place. At the moment, I have about 12 inches of pipe, unsecured,...
6
6

Weird humming noise from water pipes
Sometime in the last week or three something odd has happened in my mother's house. There's a downstairs utility room which has a WC in it; when it's flushed there a second or two of silence then an...
11
11

Inflation rates
One thing that is never mentioned in the official notices of inflation rates is the level of uncertainty of the figures. It is particularly inportant to know this when much is being made of changes as...
47
47

OT: USB microscope
Has anyone any recommendations for particular ones? I'm thinking about getting one for my granddaughter. Bill
18
18

OT: Recommendation for DSL modem/router with VOIP, please
Any recommendations for a DSL modem/router with wireless and VOIP please (manufacturer and/or model)? Any gotchas? 4 ethernet ports, and one VOIP/ATA port would be sufficient. Am thinking about...
18
18

Bathrooms in bedrooms...
Pics 8 and 10. So go on - how does building regs deal with a bathroom in a bedroom? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42099301.html...
21
21

OT. Most attention grabbing advert ever?
The 7th installment of our #imapreviewgirl video series. How Not To Instagram is part of Preview Magazine's #imapreviewgirl campaign that started with our September 2013 issue. We asked our friends...