Aagh the screws.

Just been installing a number of batten fluorescents overhead in the garage. These came from Toolstation and use screwed terminal blocks to connect into. Unfortunately the damn screws are not captive and fall out onto the garage floor to disappear forever whenever it is least convenient. Getting stranded conduit wire into these was a no no, so I used crimped on terminations to give me an easier entry.

I don't understand why the manufacturer has not adjusted the plastic to make the screw captive. I have very old terminal blocks with captive screws so it is perfectly feasible.

Fortunately the screws are M3.5 so either a cut down electrical fixing screw or one of my spare terminal block screws got me out of trouble, but if I were a professional I'd look for another product where the screws were captive.

Reply to
Capitol

Put insulating tape over the screws and poke the screwdriver through the tape to turn but the tape holds the screw in place

Reply to
Tomin Dotsson

A blob of Blu-tack works for me.

I like the blu-tack idea, but why not design the product to work?

Reply to
Capitol

A manufacturer with limited skill gets to make more lines and more money. The connectors sell for a bit less so the appliance mfr gets to save 0.1p per appliance - its all win for those involved.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A telling question but the advice being offered are 'workarounds' to overcome such a design defficiency. You'd best ask that of the manufacturers rather than the people here.

Reply to
Johny B Good

In article , Capitol writes

FFS, buy cheap shit, expect cheap shit performance. Toolstation is cheap shit.

Want MK performance, buy MK (occasionally available at TS).

Reply to
fred