Flashing alarm light

I want to put an alarm on my cesspit to tell me that the pump has failed and the pit is full (*). There are plenty of float switches on eBay (although few mains ones) and I can get an IP66 box to do any electrickery inside (indeed, I already have a small one mounted on a post besides the manhole cover where the SWA turns into flex, with a mains neon mounted on top to tell me the mains is still on).

But ... my Google-fu has failed me when it comes to finding a mains flashing/occulting/rotating warning light to mount on top of the box. I'd prefer a mains one, but all I've been able to find so far is the 12V ones that plug into a cigarette lighter socket to stick on top of broken-down cars. I suppose I could butcher one of those, and a 12V wall-wart (I have a big box-full of superfluous ones) to provide the volts, but it's more complexity I'd rather avoid. I suppose I could use a red bulb in an IP66 enclosure, but I'd rather like a flashing orange one...

So, anyone know of such a thing?

(* Guess what I spent Saturday afternoon doing?)

Reply to
Huge

er.... grovelling around in your own shit? ah the irony

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Not quite what I was looking for (they turned out to be 24V) and probably not quite the price you were looking for, but combined with a klaxon, this might do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Although the ones shown are 115V, they claim on the page to be able to supply 240V

Nightjar

Google for Flashing LED 230V

Reply to
alan_m

Why combined with a Klaxon? Klaxton make their own 230V beacons.

Reply to
ARW

Just imagining the shit-alarm going off at Huge Towers being something like the alarm and flashing lights predicting meltdown of the power plant in an American film ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Kewl.

Although perhaps not at 2AM. (There's a certain amount of groundwater seepage inwards, so it's possible.)

Reply to
Huge

Huge used his keyboard to write :

I would have been inclined to use two insulated stainless rods or tubes, dangling down with the ends around the level you want and connected in series with a low voltage and a similar voltage of small relay, all run from a/c. The relay then switches your alarm or light.

More reliable than a float, they do not jam or seize.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They're available in Argos :-)

May not be IP rated though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

if it were back in the 70s, there were loads of such things for discos... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Being as what is in this pit, I did wonder if he meant a Flushing red light, but there you are that is just me.

However its done maybe the best plan is to just let it operate a radio doorbell circuit and have an audible alarm indoors instead? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Admirable!

Reply to
Capitol

No, but this is UKDIY so a 12V cobbled together unit would seem appropriate!

Reply to
Capitol

I think we have a winner. Thank you!

Reply to
Huge

Agreed. It's what the professionals use.

Reply to
Capitol

They'll be in damn near any mainland European DIY store, I'd have thought, since they seem to be a legal requirement on the gate of places with alarms (IIUC) in many countries.

Everything from your average breakdown-wagon rotating plantpot to neat little hockey-pucks.

Gawd knows what you'd search for online. Sure I've seen them in Italy - maybe Mr F could assist?

Reply to
Adrian