External woodwork re-painting frequency

I hate external woodwork which needs to be re-painted frequently, and my main home in the midlands is largely maintenance-free in this respect.
But I also own a flat in a converted Georgian house in the New Forest - which *does* have lots of external woodwork.
The current practice is to re-paint it every five years - but it was last done only 3 years ago, and lots of paint is already pealing off - particularly on the window-cills.
Anyone have a view as to how long a re-paint had *ought* to last, and whether or not a life of only 3 years is a sign of shoddy workmanship?
It seems to me that one problem with old buildings is that if the woodwork is only slightly unsound - and contains any moisture at all - that moisture will fund its way out, and force the paint off. Although any obviously rotten timber was replaced when it was last painted, paint was almost certainly applied on a number of *slightly* dubious areas.
Anyone else faced with similar problems and, if so, have you found a solution? Before you say "replace all the woodwork with uPVC" I should perhaps point out that it's a Grade II listed building - so that ain't an option!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

It *may* be an option if you're prepared to do the legwork, e.g. search for application number 10/13/0385 at
<http://planning.blackburn.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/ApplicationSearch.aspx>
On 25/08/2014 11:42, Andy Burns wrote:

Many thanks for that link - it certainly provides food for thought!
There are significant differences in their situation relative to ours. Their existing windows were recent and were already double-glazed - whereas ours are 'period' and are single-glazed. Also, each of our sashes is sub-divided into 6 panes - whereas theirs only have 2. Nevertheless, it's worth exploring.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

Though application 93/NFDC/51626/LBC at
<http://planweb3.newforest.gov.uk/online-applications/search.do>
might indicate the attitude of New Forest vs Blackburn with Darwen

Are there houses near yours that have been given permission to replace period single glazed with modern wooden double glazed sashes? If so and you could demonstrate the high-spec uPVC would appear identical to those, it might be worth trying to argue the point.
On 25/08/2014 12:59, Andy Burns wrote:

Maybe, but I've been unable to view that application - getting an error saying "Unable to perform this task. A remote exception occurred." when I try. Sounds like a system error - maybe they'll fix it after the Bank Holiday!

Dunno - but I'll have a look. Having said that, our house is considerably older than most of the surrounding properties, so there's unlikely to be much which is comparable.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

I got the same, refresh a few times, it should work eventually, maybe they have several servers and one has gone AWOL over the bank holiday?
On 25/08/2014 16:15, Andy Burns wrote:

Ah, yes - finally managed to see the plans. Not really an apples for apples comparison with the Blackburn project though because the application and decision occurred around 20 years ago. An awful lot has happened in the meantime to improve the appearance of uPVC windows, not to mention the importance now attached to thermal efficiency - which nobody cared about at the time. I need to find out what the NFDC's current attitude is. I'm not that optimistic, because they're a pretty stuffy lot!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 25/08/2014 11:16, Roger Mills wrote:

IME it's certainly a waste of time repainting old wood. At best it's cosmetic, and mostly just accelerates rot. Ideally you need to get back to bare wood, allow it to dry, and apply a 2 part wood hardener (any polyester resin will do IME). After that, any filler and any paint should work well and last a couple of decades.
On 25/08/2014 12:29, stuart noble wrote:

Sounds like a possible solution. The most difficult part is probably allowing it to dry - which could take a considerable time. It would presumably need protecting from the weather whilst the drying took place?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 25/08/2014 11:16, Roger Mills wrote:

I would expect to achieve 7-10 years for an oil based exterior grade paint applied to a clean, dry and well-prepared surface.
--
Colin Bignell

I would be happy with that but, sadly, we haven't achieved anything like that. Is this indicative of inadequate preparation?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 25/08/2014 12:56, Roger Mills wrote:

Peeling paint does suggest that, but can be an incompatible surface. What was the paint you used? Oil or water based?
On 25/08/2014 13:30, Fredxxx wrote:

+1
--
Colin Bignell

On 25/08/2014 13:30, Fredxxx wrote:

Almost certainly oil-based. It was done by a professional painter - not by the residents (requiring scaffolding, etc.). It took a while to dry compared with water-based acrylic paint. I suspect that the wood was damp when painted, due to water penetration through the previous failing paint surface.
It's almost certainly damp now - particularly after the Bank Holiday weather! I just don't know how to go about getting it dry enough to re-paint satisfactorily.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Three decades in my case. Thirty years ago I bought what became my original Music Workshop which had a double-fronted shop with rotten display windows. I did all that - plus ruthlessly cutting out and replacing rotten timber. I saw the place was up for sale again a few weeks ago and my window frames were still holding up.
Nick

All the paintwork on the windows on the SW side of my house really needed doing every other year, every 3 years at a minimum, even when done carefully with expensive paint systems.
I gave up and fitted uPVC. Sorry that isn't an option for you.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 18th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3180
We are all living in Israel now; it's just that some of you haven't
Roger Mills wrote:

    Have you considered selling it and renting?
On 25/08/2014 14:29, Capitol wrote:

Absolutely not! We love the place - but it does come with its challenges!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Full marks for the excellent design and access statement.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

Yes, I thought they'd sought out plenty of relevant boxes and demonstrated they were all ticked, but
"painted sashes will jam and we'll all die in a fire"
was a nice touch ...