Painting Forever Storm Doors

Hi,

I have three Forever doors installed, and there is no problem with the doors. One of them is subject to dog paws from the inside. It's a crossbuck door, and I can't get the toenail marks out. The Forever (EMCO) site says the color is solid through the door and scratches should wash off. They don't.

I think the door framing is polypropylene, but the crossbuck surface looks and feels like fiberglass.

I just want to know if I can repaint the one surface with regular latex house paint (which I have), or if I need enamel paint or something else.

By way of explanation, the dog doesn't scratch to go out, but she puts her paws up to look out the window, and sometimes slides down. We leave the inside wooden door open to avoid more damage to that, so I think this will become a routine maintenance item.

Keith

My guess it that whatever paint you use will probably hold up even less than whatever is on the door now.

Perhaps you could paint it and then protect it with a piece of Plexiglas or Lexan attached with double-sided tape or Velcro.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My guess it that whatever paint you use will probably hold up even less than whatever is on the door now.

Perhaps you could paint it and then protect it with a piece of Plexiglas or Lexan attached with double-sided tape or Velcro.

If the dog is gonna keep doing the same thing painting it will only make matters worse...I wouldn't worry about it..Dogs do what dogs do....In however many years after Fido goes to doggy heaven get a new door...

Reply to
benick

And the dogs will paw through the paint, plastic is difficult to paint, XIM primer might work it the best for plastics, read their spec sheet to see if it bonds to that type and deal with a pro paint store, just painting with whatever without washing, sanding, priming, will make a big mess, its probably not worth it. How about a plexiglass sheet where they paw so they dont paw a hole in the door, thats what I did, now that dog is gone I should remove the sheet.

Reply to
ransley

Fix a sheet of metal over the area.

Reply to
Phisherman

re: "How about a plexiglass sheet where they paw so they dont paw a hole in the door"

There must be an echo in here.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to Phisherman, KatMom wrote: I know this thread has been around a while but for future readers, here is my experience.

My forever door is at least 35 years old. I've painted it numerous times. I've used cheap paint when broke (have to keep the HOA happy) and good quality paint. The good stuff does last the best--up to 10 or 12 years--I think but it's been so long I've forgotten when it was painted last. LOL It could be a year or so more.

The only problem I've had with paint is around the door handle. I don't have long nails (chick DIYer so nails must be short) that scratch it there so I think it's only the flexing of the door when it sticks during very hot weather (live in Virginia) and it takes a really good hard pull to open after the sun has been on it.

Reply to
KatMom