Subject Author Posted Replies

Fluorescent water dye
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have...
21
21

Finding a soakaway
Somewhere under my back garden there's a soakaway pit, fed from a gutter downpipe. I'd like to run a second feed to it from guttering newly fitted to my garage, but I have to find it first. The garden...
44
44

threads from here copied elsewhere
google has shown me copies of threads from here at: and whats going on? So that's the main switch - does it have to be 100A and remember it is a time delayed model. One other option would be to have a...
27
27

Metal primer
Looking for a suitable primer for use on a machine accessory that I'm building at the moment. I want a good foundation so that a top coat is likely to stay on and not blister off or chip too easily in...
5
5

Cleaning Gutters
I assume that it is OK to extend the ladder such that it actually rests on the gutter? Or ideally should you use an extender at the top of the ladder to offset the ladder from the supporting wall?
23
23

Tarpaulin support ideas please
My 12'x12' shed roof has gone so I have two temporary requirements: 1) to stop further deterioration of the shed 2) to cover various contents, not just from the shed but also from my now closed down...
6
6

Rated people for tradesmen
I wonder if anyone has used Rated People to find a tradesman. I am looking for a good plasterer to board over both sides of a two part glazed partition and apply plaster so as to blend in with the...
37
37

OT: Maplin sold to Pizza Hut owner for £85 million
Its just money, at the end of the day I suppose. Its a great pity we lost Tandy. Not cheap, butthey always seemed to be able to find something from somewher that would sort you out. Not Like Maplin...
59
59

The answer
3
3

Pace desolder handpiece.
Went to changed the desolder bit in my old Pace SX80, and it snapped off about half way down inside the element. I'll have a go at drilling it out - but decided a new element wouldn't be a bad idea,...
17
17

OT: Auditors probe £16bn green energy contracts
"The government may have failed to protect the interests of bill payers when awarding green energy contracts, says the National Audit Office (NAO)." The government may have failed to protect the...
10
10

makita LXT battery adapters....
further to the makita cordless tools lithium batts threads etc... ebay 121301673703 has anyone tried one of these USA origin? Makita lithium lxt battery adaptors? they apparently enable lxt batts to...

[?]Concrete fence post repair - is there a suitable filler?
I have a concrete fence post which has cracked, although at the moment it still supports the fence, see the two pictures at:- and... Digging out the post to completely replace it will be a real pain...
45
45

Reviving flat camera battery
I have an 'Energizer' brand replacement battery for my Nikon camera. Model ENEL9 Li-ion 7.4v 1000mAh (7.4Wh) Left it in the camera unused too long and it is flat and won't charge. Anything obvious I...
4
4

Cladding a low block wall
I have a low garden wall consisting of three courses of standard-size concrete blocks which I'd like to make look a bit less industrial. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone used this sort...
18
18