Subject Author Posted Replies

Ballast fluorescent causes circuit breaker to buzz
I have an old ballast fluorescent (3 foot tube), and when it's on (even with the tube removed), the circuit breaker in the fusebox (MCB) buzzes loudly. I've put my lighting onto the computer's UPS,...
25
25

Short adjustable legs
Put together an Ikea drawer unit earlier today. It is meant to go under a desk, but I want it alongside it and at the same level, so it is 5cm too low - the thickness of the top piece of the desk....
17
17

OT Penny Finally Beginning To Drop
"Wind farms can never be relied upon to keep the lights on in Britain because there are long periods each winter in which they produce barely any power, according to a new report by the Adam Smith...
102
102

Why 5.5mm Sds drill bit?
Hi I have often used 5mm and 6mm non-SDS drill bits for rawl plug holes. I am thinking of buying a set of SDS drill bits and have noticed that sets usually include a 5.5mm bit. What is the reason for...
36
36

Makita CM saw.
Finally got the Makita LS1214L slide compound mitre saw up and running. Because it's larger than the old one had to extend the front of the workbench a bit. I bought it from Tools4Trade earlier this...
2
2

drill etc sharpeners?
Any recommendation for a drill (also possibly including chisel & plane blad e) sharpener. google came up with 4 options: Clarke CMPS1 Multipurpose Sharpening Tool c.£45 Silverline silverstorm 929856...
11
11

cutting old cast iron pipe
I have a 4" cast iron pipe poking out of the floor of my utility room. In the cellar below it is cracked; I want to remove the pipe and fix the floor in the utility room. How do I cut the pipe: angle...
5
5

[OT] Server side "Cloud" software
Not wishing to share may data with google or any other 3rd party I've started looking at having some sort of "cloud" server software on my Linux (CentOS 5.8) based server. Principle requirements are...
10
10

Raised patio bridging damp course
Our house has a raised patio - a tall one at 900mm - built onto the back of the house. You can more or less see it here: There is a limited damp problem inside the house as you'd expect from bridging...
2
2

OT ish; Unlocking an Android tablet
Granddaughter has a cheap no name Android tablet - and has forgotten the 4 digit password. It only appears to have a power button and a volume control. You get 5 attempts at entering a password, then...
8
8

Home CCTV
Hi everyone, I'd looking to implement a home CCTV system. Ideally one with an iPhone/iPad accessible central recording facility, NVR or DVR type device. 3-4 cameras are all I'd really need. Night...
16
16

It was only a bleedin' shower.
Well, it may have been pretty crap and didn't drain properly, but it certainly didn't give up without a fight. Converting a now ex bathroom into a bedroom for youngest child. Took out old shower...
2
2

Well that's the most bastardy bit of the plumbing done...
You can all laugh now that that took 3 days (not whole days, had kids and stuff, it's half term). Have not air-pressure tested yet because I'm out of JG 22-15mm adaptors. If any of those joints are...
23
23

Replacing a faulty MR16 downlighter
Hi A MR16 12V halogen downlight has failed in a kitchen of my relative. Checks with a meter suggest that the associated transformer has failed. The transformer is dedicated to that light fitting and...
7
7

BT Usenet to cease
Received this email form BT today: Your Usenet service is changing ... On 3 December, we're stopping the Usenet service that comes with your broadband because our partnership with Giganews is coming...
30
30