Subject Author Posted Replies

Help with toilet cistern
When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl. Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find how to do this on this particular cistern. Any ideas on how to...
11
11

Dimmers and LEDs
I have been using a bog-standard dimmer switch (fitted about 20 years ago) with a 10W dimmable LED lamp without any particular problems. (Although at certain settings it does start to flicker). I want...
9
9

Legionella control duties for landlords?
We're told that we need to have our rental property inspected to comply with H&SE requirements and that it will cost £81 every two years for the privilege. The property is a 2-bed modern terraced...
23
23

Who made Homebase "Verona cherry" kitchen door and drawer fronts?
I installed a Homebase "Verona Cherry" kitchen a few years ago and now want to get some matching drawer fronts - any suggestions where to try (other than Homebase)?
7
7

Where to find Galvanized pipe fittings in London ?
Where to find Galvanized pipe fittings in London ? I tried B&Q without success. I want to do something like this Any tips or suggestions ? Thanks! Check out Deek's Book on Shelter and Cabin Concepts...
4
4

Sand & Cement "anti-crumble additive"
Hi all, THe instructions for the shower base I'm installing say I need to add an "anti-crumble" compound to the S&C mix. I can see how this would be desirable since the shower base will be sitting...
12
12

Garden fence advice needed
What is the best fencing method nowadays? Six foot height. I suppose concrete posts and concrete gravel boards? Is there anything that lasts a fair time? Plastic panels? Cost per yard? Suggestions...
5
5

Sun-resistant materials
It's good having a south-facing garden but the sun can take its toll on materials exposed to it. I have a small area (about 3sqm) of timber shiplap cladding that has seen better days (peeling paint...
11
11

Pinch? Tool name needed
I borrowed this from my neighbour (to get nails out from corners where a claw hammer won't reach). Any idea what they're called so I can order my own for the future? He called it a pinch, but I can't...
18
18

Screw sheared off in pattress - what to do
As part of a redecoration project, I've been tasked with replacing the rather cheap and nasty light switches with nice brushed steel, concealed screw ones. Not that that's awfully relevant. The point...
48
48

Replacing gas fire thermocouple
I've got a gas fire with a suspected faulty thermocouple. Symptoms are I can light the pilot but it goes out as soon as I release the knob. I've tried holding the knob down for about 30 seconds with...
27
27

Re: mobile pressure washing
[spam] I think mobiles might not work so well after being pressure washed. Theo

BBC Internet Radio Streams
Those of us who take the business of listening to radio seriously, i.e. high quality sound through high quality audio equipment, will have been astonished or just plain confused by the BBC's recent...
30
30

Hammer drill keeps slipping into hammer mode
I've had a cheapo hammer drill for ages, bought it in Wilko or Payless for around £15. It's fine, EXCEPT that the ruddy thing keeps slipping into hammer mode. There is a sliding square-section button...
13
13

(OT) Wireless connection veeerrryyy slow... (longish)
Got a new Belkin AC1200 (F9J1106 v1) modem router last week. It is dual-band, and I know what you are going to say about Belkin - it wasn't my first choice either, but it was free. Set it up without a...
22
22