Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: identify insect
Yes this probably should go to a more appropriate group but this is the one I subscribe to. Anyway, unidentified flying object visits the Geranium in my window box at least twice a day. Beige hairy...
6
6

Heads up: Aldi Cable Access Kit
For £6.99 you get 10 x 1m glass-fibre reinforced rods for feeding cables through conduits or hollow walls. They screw together, and there's also a hook adapter, a flexible piece and a small adaptor...
7
7

OT. EUSSR wants even more money off us.
BRITISH taxpayers are expected to be forced to hand over an extra £1.7billion more to the EU over the next five years than previously thought, Budget documents revealed.

Solon soldering iron replacement.
My faithful Solon 25w soldering iron has fallen to pieces after 50 years. :-( The metal shaft that holds the bit had rusted to the point where there was no strength. I was using it to melt the bits of...
18
18

Totally OT - Pub Food
A nice thing about a holiday is being served properly even in an inexpensive restaurant. Why do we put up with having to queue at the bar with our table number in the UK? I am sure that if they had a...
53
53

Utterly OT: UPS routes
My parcel for Orleans was picked up in London by UPS yesterday. It is 370 miles from London to Orleans. However, UPS have first taken it 130 miles in the opposite direction, to Tamworth in...
11
11

OT: PDF viewer for Windows
Can anyone recommend a good free PDF viewer for Windows 7? Preferably not Adobe.
36
36

Before you throw away that fridge...
See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy" pile, you do find a use for it: Portable Wine Rack - DIYWiki
10
10

Charging Samsung Chromebook from USB socket
We make occasional 500 mile car trips, and have a USB charger that plugs into the car cigarette lighter, which is great for charging phones. What I cannot find is a lead or adaptor to charge a Samsung...
6
6

same filament for brake and side light
It's far from unusual in these days of multiplexed electronics. Some stuff, especially with LED lights, pulses the power.
7
7

Health & Safety issue
From a technical point of view it may well be OK, ie safe. It just looks untidy and if any alterations are needed takes longer to work out what goes where. It's possible to tidy this lot up with...
39
39

OT Really wierd computer animation
Funny photo film of photos that blend together, using Morphing Titel music: Dwo dwiddle dwevils by Karpa - http://www.jaqverstappen.nl/. Page: https://drakre52.jimdo.com/funny/

metal boxes for electrical sockets
Hello, I was having a sort out and found some spare metal boxes as used behind electrical sockets, light switches, etc. I had some made by CED that I had bought from Tool station and some of the...
3
3

replacing lead water pipe
Hello, I have discovered that I have a lead water pipe and that it is shared with my neighbour. I have contacted the water company and they have told me that I will have to change the bit on my...
9
9

6mm T&E cable routing requirements
I've just installed an electric shower. The 6mm T&E cable runs from the loft down through an unheated airing cupboard. Does the cable have to be inside trunking or conduit where it runs through the...
12
12